Pearson 365 and 367

Pearson 365 and 367 => Pearson General Non-Mechanical System Maintenance and Repair => Topic started by: Nereid on February 06, 2019, 04:55:02 PM

Title: How much water do you have?
Post by: Nereid on February 06, 2019, 04:55:02 PM
Hey folks!

We have been kicking around the idea that it would be nice to know how much water we have at a given moment, so we can stop over filling or randomly running out of water.
What water level monitors do you guys have? (aside from guesstimating what is in the tank by looking)
So far i'm not sure I have found a system that I like yet.

Suggestions?
Thanks!

P.S. the forum seems awfully quiet recently.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: brian chalk on February 06, 2019, 08:24:31 PM
We never really felt the need for a tank monitor or gauge. We've used our boat primarily for cruising and think of our water in terms of days as opposed to gallons. We figured out that a tank lasted us 5-6 days. On day 5 we'd start listening for the sound of the pump sucking air. When that happened, switch to the next tank. We always knew within a day or two how much water we had left, and could plan ahead accordingly.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 07, 2019, 08:27:38 AM
We only cruise in Texas bays and the ICW for maybe three weeks at a time.

We alternate using the port and starboard tanks every two or three days (so noted in the log).  When that source is consumed (which has never happened on a cruise), we would have the 30 gallon bow tank remaining.  That is sufficient for us to get to a water source.

Water conservation is practiced, but is not rigidly draconian.  150 gallons of water has always been plenty for our cruises.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Nereid on February 07, 2019, 09:01:39 AM
Thanks folks,
So how long do you a typically cruise for? Three weeks or so?
Also, do you guys collect rain water or have a watermaker?
Thanks!
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVTheEdge on February 08, 2019, 08:22:30 AM
I was wondering the same thing.  I hate not knowing the status of the water.  The tanks are not totally square so it would be hard to get a level gage to accurately determine the total amount of water left in the tank based on how many inches are left in the tank.  I dont know the answer.  Also, its very hard to fill the tanks without looking through the tack access opening.  A flow meter can be installed on the outlet to measure used water.  Thats far fetched, I know.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 08, 2019, 09:00:05 AM
To answer the question, we do not have a watermaker or collect rainwater, they do not add to our safety or comfort.

Maybe we are trying to be more precise than the situation requires.  Foreign and multi-week passages will require more monitoring and awareness of the water tankage.  Cruises in populated areas do not.  We would always know when it was time to seek a water source when we switched to the bow tank.  The 5-6 day estimate is a good rule of thumb and we plan our cruise destinations around that time frame.

As to watermakers and catching rainwater, I leave those techniques (equipment) to those who are really in situations where there is no easily accessible water.  Just because watermakers are available does not mean they are supposed to be installed on every boat.  It is easy to continue to add equipment because it would be nice to have, but what is the real benefit?  Any item on board must justify its presence, and a watermaker does not fit that category with us.

Catching rainwater can be jury-rigged as needed with awnings and tarps that are already aboard (note: the two or more purpose rule  :) )
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVTheEdge on February 08, 2019, 09:21:47 AM
Benefits of a water maker? I'm no expert or a seasoned round the world sailor, but I love a shower every day.  Seems like a sleep better after swimming in salt and diving all day.  Not too mention the sweat and stickyness.   One of the main reasons I choose the 365 was the water capacity.  150 gallons is pretty good for a 36ft boat.  I just would like to monitor it more and plan a little better.  Maybe a 12v passive water maker wouldnt be too bad to have, if it werent so expensive.   
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Nereid on February 08, 2019, 09:57:27 AM
Thanks for the input guys..
I guess to me I am looking for a solution to monitor and manage the boat's water system. I am planning another crossing coming up and figured it would be good to find a good way to keep track of water or get it, since it would most likely take 10-15 days between ports.
So far I have gotten my renewable energy system working great between the panels  and wind turbine, so now it is just getting the water sorted.
On that note, having never had to ferry a 100gal of water to the boat in a dinghy, I am not that well versed in this matter but I would imagine it would really suck to do every 5 days.
What have you all done before? Do you usually say at marinas when out and about or anchor and ferry water?
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 08, 2019, 10:19:57 AM
Ten (or 15) gallons of water a day is a lot of water.  Barbara and I use about 3 to 5 gallons a day, including showers.  With our tankage, that would be about 30 days.... longer should we severely conserve.  The family unit composition and their habits drive the water consumption: more people means more water.  Perhaps a watermaker would be appropriate in a situation that needs more water. 

I could suggest that you ferry water to the boat on each, or most, dinghy trips...5 to 10 gallons per trip.  That would not be that onerous a process.  Carrying water in 5 gallon containers is doable and not that much room in the dinghy.  Most places do not mind if you get a few gallons, they might object/charge if you were to get 100 gallons.

A watermaker installation is an expensive, energy consuming, space occupying and maintenance requiring system.  I have no objections to one and when the benefits outweigh the cost they are certainly beneficial.  We like to sleep squeaky clean too!
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Nereid on February 08, 2019, 02:07:56 PM
Thanks for the input Jim,
Do you guys have a separate salt water system for the galley or throughout the rest of the boat? I was thinking on adding a foot pump and plumbing specific for a salt water faucet in the galley.
(just thinking of ways to cut on use)
Thanks!
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 08, 2019, 03:56:06 PM
 We do not have salt water plumbed into the boat. We never needed to access salt water, nor would we access the waters we cruise in. 

We only have one foot pump in the galley to access the water.  I do have a separate, clean sealed-up small bilge pump to access the tanks should the electrical system (or pump system) fail.  I would hate to have to dip my hand into the tanks with a small cup for a drink of water  ;).

The Pardeys had a below waterline faucet they accessed salt water on Talesyn.   I do not know how I feel about that system, I do not need to access salt water like they must have.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Nereid on February 08, 2019, 04:23:35 PM
Jim,
Im a tad confused how your plumbing is run.. Do you only have a foot pump to pressurize your fresh water line or the foot pump is just a backup for the electric one?
Also, what do you use to wash your dishes with (in my case a pile of dishes ha)? I feel like washing dishes is the highest water consuming activity (aside from filling up the hot tub on the foredeck.. well if i had a hot tub that would be the case) that is why i was thinking of putting in a salt water faucet..
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVTheEdge on February 08, 2019, 04:52:34 PM
I just completed a passage from St. Maarten to Ft. Pierce, Fl. on a Pearson 44 countess.  1100 miles and 9 days.  What a cadillac of a boat.  The sink was plumbed with a salt water foot pump and press water fauset.   Using salt water to wash is a must.  rinsing with only a very small amount of fresh water.  when we had our hatteras, we washed dishes in salt water that we brought in with a 5 gal bucket.  I currently have a foot pump in the sink as well as press water.  Guess we will use the bucket method and see if it works for a while.  The foot pump on my friends boats was a great ting to have plumbed to salt water. 
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 08, 2019, 08:46:50 PM
My plumbing appears to be the standard Pearson 365 pressure activated electric pump system.  In addition, Phantom has a foot pump at the galley sink to pump fresh water as well.  We have no provisions to pump salt water into our sinks.

The manual bilge pump is reserved to access the water tanks should there be a malfunction in the electrical system, the electrical pump or the foot pump in the galley.

We do not use salt water because we are not in salt water that is clean enough to wash our dishes ( our water can look like cafe au lait ).  There is good reason to wash dishes in the salt water when offshore or in clean inshore water.  Certainly some of the inshore and coastal waters in Florida would be clean enough.

Sorry I was not clear.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVTheEdge on February 09, 2019, 08:30:39 AM
Oh yes,  most salt water I wouldnt use to wash dishes.  Well, if you are close enough to the coast to have dirty salt water, you really should be close enough to get water from a marina.  I think most people could stretch out 150 gal for at least a few weeks.  We plan on going to the Bahamas this fall and maybe onward to the Carib.  I would like to have salt water plumbed into the sink though.  It was very helpful on my last trip with my friend on his 44 countess.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: S/V AMITY on February 09, 2019, 04:28:06 PM
You might be able to fit mechanical fuel tank gauges to the tops of each tank.  A good search in eBay might yield some units that could be adapted to work.  Cheers!
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: S/V AMITY on February 09, 2019, 04:44:36 PM
... or install a clear plastic sight window on the top of each tank.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 09, 2019, 06:09:47 PM
You could also look into the tank through the access port and see how much water is in there every day or three .....  that would make a nice log entry  ;)
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Nereid on February 09, 2019, 08:14:44 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!! Looks like I will have to add a foor pump and faucet to the list.. Right now there is a salt water line that has an option to go into the pressure pump fpr the dress.. But I dont feel comfortable running salt through the sams plumbing as my fresh..
Atleast with cafe au lait water you wont need to add creamer to your water ha  ;).
SV Edge, what do you have to monitor your water consumption or how much is left?

Thanks all!
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: brian chalk on February 09, 2019, 08:25:30 PM
We spent about 5-6 weeks in the Bahamas each summer for many years (teachers). We do not have a water maker, and did not catch rainwater.

With just my wife and myself aboard, our three tanks lasted us almost 3 weeks. We took showers every day and washed dishes using the 12V freshwater pump. Of course we did all this carefully and tried not to waste water. We always anchored and rarely visited marinas. We found that R/O water is readily available in the Bahamas on the fuel dock at most marinas, and at a reasonable price. So we did not dinghy jerry cans back and forth, we just pulled in to a marina fuel dock and filled up every 2-3 weeks.

This worked for us, at least in the Bahamas.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVTheEdge on February 09, 2019, 08:42:48 PM
We have access ports (clear plastic) on each tank.  We do look in there while filling as to not over flow the tank.  The V berth tank is very hard to see.   We need to move the mattress out of the way.  I can move the couch cushions and see through the clear ports (port and Strb side) I dont know of any good idea to measure tank levels.   Even if you knew the level it might not neccessarily mean you actually know exactly how much water was in the tank in gallons.  I guess flying by the seat of our pants will work.  I run the water pump til it starts cavitating, then switch tanks.  I have a 3-way manifold under the sink with ball valves. 
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVJourney on February 09, 2019, 09:46:34 PM
We have done the Bahamas with our 365 twice.  Both times with a small water maker that we used only for drinking water in its own 5 gallon container.  The forward tank was disabled, so with 100 gals we could easily do 3 weeks at a time.  Be advised that the Bahamas have the most expensive water in the 32 countries we cruised.  As high as 60 cents per gallon as a lot of islands have to make their own RO water.  We never had to Jerry can and usually found cheap or free water when we filled with fuel.  The only place that might be an issue to you is in the Raggeds.

I have had to jerry can it in many other places in the world, but its usually just dockside into the dingy then up on to the boat.  Still easier than dealing with a water maker and its power hungry problems.

We had a water level meter in the tanks, but it died and we never had the desire to fix or replace it.

Enjoy the trip!
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 09, 2019, 10:49:43 PM
Good comments from experienced cruisers.  Evaluate your options and apply an honest, brutal cost to benefit analysis and make a decision.  It is very easy to follow a herd instinct and buy what they have.  Some things look very glamorous until you have to live with it.  I might give a small one a serious look if we were going to out on an ocean for weeks on end.  I probably would not in the Bahamas and similar islands.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: S/V Deo Volente on February 10, 2019, 11:18:00 AM
To monitor the tanks I built something similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CrR8OGsoBk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CrR8OGsoBk)
I have one set of indicators and seperate switch for each tank. I also ran one in the bilge.

Bob
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: S/V AMITY on February 10, 2019, 12:05:46 PM
Another possibility is to simply track gallons used.  There are digital meters on eBay for $20 - $30.  Measure gallons to fill each empty tank and Install meter at water valve manifold.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 10, 2019, 12:59:04 PM
The best, most sure-fire way to tell how much water you have is to look into the tank.  All the meters and indicators in the world may fail, but one look...it never fails.  A dip stick, clean and dedicated to sounding the tank, can be made that is fool-proof.  Looking is not the easiest or most convenient, but it never fails.

An indicator would be nice, though.

Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Nereid on February 12, 2019, 09:07:48 AM
Thanks a lot everyone!!
I will think about what to do, sending unit or not.. electrical resistivity/led display.. etc. and I will let you know.
I think if anything I am leaning towards some sort of sender to a gauge, and take a pass on the water-maker until I can really justify a need for it.

I will for sure plumb in a salt water foot pump and faucet though, i think that would be very helpful for all the dishes and other things while out of the harbor and other nasty (flesh eating bacteria) waters.

How clean is the water you guys get in the other countries... would you feel comfortable drinking it or do you all filter it?

Thanks all!
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVJourney on February 12, 2019, 03:40:24 PM
We added a 1/4 cup of bleach to every 50 gals whenever we were out of the country.  Again, we had a drinking water tank, but 1/4 cup per 50 gals is enough to disinfect but not enough to really taste.  LOL, not over the taste of fiberglass tank water anyways. 

I should also mention that we had activated charcoal filtration inline at the galley sink that removed most of the chlorine and made it taste better.  Got that at Home Depot for about $50.  Well worth it.  Changed the filter about every 6 months while living aboard.  Seeing what was in the filter element when I changed it convinced me that it was a very good thing to have one.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: SVTheEdge on February 13, 2019, 09:03:32 AM
Ive been looking for a in-line water filter.   It seems I dont have much room under the sink.  A picture of yours would be great.  But you sold your 365, right?  I really enjoy getting involved on this forum.  Thanks for all the input.  We will start cruising the NC outer banks, Pamlico and Ablemarle sounds in April.  Bahamas next fall.
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: S/V Deo Volente on February 13, 2019, 11:19:58 AM
Quote from: SVJourney on February 12, 2019, 03:40:24 PM
We added a 1/4 cup of bleach to every 50 gals whenever we were out of the country.  Again, we had a drinking water tank, but 1/4 cup per 50 gals is enough to disinfect but not enough to really taste.  LOL, not over the taste of fiberglass tank water anyways. 

I should also mention that we had activated charcoal filtration inline at the galley sink that removed most of the chlorine and made it taste better.  Got that at Home Depot for about $50.  Well worth it.  Changed the filter about every 6 months while living aboard.  Seeing what was in the filter element when I changed it convinced me that it was a very good thing to have one.

Yes to both the bleach and charcoal filter! We always add a little bleach. I have a Seagull IV water filter at the galley, it was on the boat when I bought it. A bit pricey but I can't tell the difference from bottled water. I also added an American Plumber W385-PR Slim Line Water Filter in the head to the cold water faucet. It makes brushing your teeth or that occasional drink of water much more pleasant.

Bob
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: Jim S on February 20, 2019, 09:56:45 AM
This is an article in The Boat Galley that was posted this morning.  Interesting read.

https://theboatgalley.com/catching-water/?mc_cid=ac5cd4c0c9&mc_eid=07d1bf447f
Title: Re: How much water do you have?
Post by: S/V AMITY on February 24, 2019, 09:06:52 AM
Has anyone here installed a watermarker on their 365?  If so, which watermarker did you choose & where did you install it?