News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Stuffing Box Hose Replacement - V Drive alignment?

Started by jankowskiben, May 09, 2022, 09:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jankowskiben

Replaced my stuffing box hose with a new Buck Algonquin hose. Issue is V Drive alignment. I removed the flange that connects the propeller shaft to the V Drive to swap the hose, and found the flange far out of alignment with the V Drive when reassembling. Prop shaft sits lower and to starboard of the V Drive. Tolerances are still parallel, within .003.  How could this be? Cutlass bearing is tight - I'm unsure what could have changed. 

It's been covered before, but all tips for V drive alignment appreciated. 

Dale Tanski

The mounting angles on the V-Drive as I recall have slots to allow some movement side to side.  The prop shaft if disconnected from the output shaft will sag and appear to be out of alignment.  The log hose does nothing but keep the water out and keep the stuffing gland from spinning.

The best way to be sure all is good is to install the bolts in the coupling flange and get them close to finger tight.  Then take a feeler gage and check the gap between the two flanges at 90 degree increments, the gaps should all be equal at best. If they are a few thousands out that is not a big deal.  You should be able to move the V-Drive to get everything equal.  The input shaft to the V-Drive has the universal joints so it doesn't care about minor misalignment. 

By the way, what was the inner diameter of the log hose or Buck Algonquin's part number.  Also what diameter packing did you end up using?  People want to know!

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

jankowskiben

Thanks for a thoughtful reply, as always, Dale.  My boat is on the hard, so I attached the prop shaft to the V drive as-is for now.  Will check alignment after launching.  Ran the engine in gear briefly for a dry run this evening. No unusual vibrations in forward or reverse.  Also, swapped the Paragon gear with an exact replacement over the winter, so plenty of places to inspect for issues. 

For the stuffing box packing - I used three rows of 3/16" Western Pacific Teflon.  Might consider adding a fourth row next time.  We'll see how it holds up. Have used graphite packing on other boats.  I did my best to match the old packing material, but think 1/4" could be worked into place as well. 

Buck Algonquin Hose # 80HO225.  Shorter than the 9" hose I removed, but thicker and safer.  Trade off is the lock nut is a little more difficult to access/adjust.  Still a friendlier setup than many boats.

Ben

Dale Tanski

Ben,
You sound like a very knowledgeable owner.  I love customers like you, someone that took the time and learned along the way.  So many people we talk to make it a point to tell you that they don't know, do not want to know and go out of their way not to know about fixing or maintaining anything.  People are so programmed to avoid mistakes at all costs.  The only way to learn is making mistakes. 
Good to hear you are keeping your old girl alive and well. Thanks for the info on the log hose and packing materials.

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.