News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Is my Westerbeke 40 a perkins 4.107 or 4.108?

Started by Gabriel11, November 23, 2021, 05:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel11

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just bought a 1980 365 ketch in July. They sold it to me as if the engine was running alright,  but on the first sail it turned off and died. Apparently it overhated and blew the head gasket. I am currently trying to repair it. I first ordered the gaskets directly from Westerbeke which still haven't arrived since they do not have them in stock. All the gaskets from the top part of the engine came to a total of around $620 without shipping (which can be plenty since I live in Puerto Rico 🇵🇷). After that I learned that the westerbeke engine is the same as the perkins 4.107/4.108. And the gasket set for the perkins engine is around 60-100 without shipping, which is way better. But I cannot seem to find any serial o model number on my engine, so I am not sure if my Westerbeke is a 4-107 or a 4-108, due to this I'm stuck with the whole repair. Does anyone know if the 1980 365 came with a 4-107 or a 4-108, I know that one has dry cilinders and the other one not, but I don't know any other way to identify which one is it. I have plenty of pictures if that helps.
Thanks in advance
Gabriel

Dale Tanski

Gabriel
Sorry to hear about you engine issue, but glad to hear you are ambitious and resourceful.  I can tell the 107 from the 108 just from looking at them but your pictures did not show enough to do that.  So... I did some research and found this:

On the Early models 4.99 and 4.107 the engine number is located just aft of the tappet cover (on the lift pump end ) , stamped vertically The First numeral will be 7 e.g. (700666 ) for a 4.99 . Or 71 prefix for a 4.107
This could be obscured if a C.A.V fuel filter is fitted prior to the manual lift pump
After about 1975 +/- the late model engines, the number is found on-the block , on top edge of the injector pump housing interface on the block. In this case the prefix will start with 99 , for a 4.99 engine . 107 , for a 4.107 ,& 108 , for a 4.108 engine Further this may also be followed by a letter U (e.g 108U9200 )

Hope this helps.  Good luck.  You will love the boat when the diesel dust has settled.

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Gabriel11

Hi Dale thanks a lot for such a quick reply. I have more pictures of the engine, I'll attach them on this post. I'm not well versed with diesel engines so sometimes I end up taking pictures of the wrong part 😬. Regarding the engine number I have looked all around the engine and can't seem to find any number, it may be what you said that is obscured by a filter (I took it out recently, so Ill take another look at the area) or I'm thinking that the previous owner just sprayed paint over it because I've really spent at least half an hour looking for a number and nothing. Yesterday I talked with a salesman from Transatlantic diesel who tried to identify the engine but wasn't sure, he was leaning towards a 108 but wasn't 100% sure. He told me to take pictures of the lift pump, the injector pump and the exhaust manifold which I'll attach here. I can take more pictures of it if that helps.
Also it is the first time I hear  of the 4.99 model.
Again thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help.

Dale Tanski

From what I see, I am 90% sure it is a 4-107.  Both engines used the same block however the 107 utilizes "wet" cylinder liners which means the engine coolant comes in direct contact with the liner and the liners can be very difficult to remove and replace.  The 108 utilizes dry liners which means the liners are slid into the cast block bores and never see coolant. Dry liners are easier to replace,  Yours look like wet liners judging by the thickness of the exposed upper edge of the liner in one of the images you provided. Another way to tell is the diameter of the head studs.  This method requires the engine to be semi dissembled which yours is.  The head studs on a 107 are 3/8" diameter and on the 108 they are slightly larger at 7/16" diameter. 

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Gabriel11

Thanks again for the info. Well now I have 2 different opinions so I'll have to take another look and make a guess. If I measure the head studs I should be able to make which model is it for sure? I also have a picture of the top of the cylinders which I'll attach. Also found a number near the lift pump which I took a picture also, but it does not look like the serial number.
Thanks Dale

Dale Tanski

Yes, the head bolts/studs diameter will break the tie.
Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Gabriel11

I just measured them and it looks like they are 3/8 but my measuring tape only has 1/8 markers and the difference is so little I can't tell for sure. I looked at lift pump area and after removing a cover I finally found a "long" number. I'm attaching the picture to see if you can identify it. But it does not look like a serial number. It looks more like a part number. It ends with -01 but it can't be seen in the picture. Thank you so much, you have helped me a lot!

SVJourney

I love this forum!
We broke down in USVI and got everything we needed to get going again from forum members.  I no longer own a 365, but check here almost everyday so I can maybe return some favors. 
Gabriel, you are in good hands with Dale.
Good Luck!
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.