Author Topic: Grounding G10 Mast Step  (Read 152 times)

CaptCG

• View Profile
Grounding G10 Mast Step
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:40:10 AM »
Could I bolt ( or 5200 ) a steel plate near the mast step for the grounding wires to attach? Thoughts appreciated. See my post below.

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
Re: Grounding G10 Mast Step
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 10:37:45 AM »
Question...
Are the "grounds" you are talking about for the 12 volt electrical items in/on the mast?  Or... are you talking about "grounding" the mast in the event of a lighting strike?

If you are talking about 12 volt electrical "grounds" or the negative side of the 12 volt supply, there is no reason why not.  I would recommend installing a "waterproof" junction box as high in the bilge as you can in that area and run all of your wiring into that box.  I did that and installed a terminal strip where all of the wires terminate in the event that the mast has to be removed. 

If you are talking lightening grounding/protection you are really talking about the bonding circuit that already exists within the boat.  Every through hull, chainplate, prop strut, engine etc. is connected through a bonding system (wires). That bonding system should terminate to a under the waterline plate that distributes the lightening charge into the surrounding water in the event of the strike.  Your mast step should already be connected to the bonding system via a bonding wire. 

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.