News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Question on opening vs non-opening NFM portlights

Started by Sailing367, July 28, 2022, 05:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing367

My 367 has been delivered to my yard and I am going through every inch of her to figure out the refit. I will be replacing all port lights with NFM port lights. In my reading on this site, it seems most people replace the opening port lights with NFM opening port lights and replace any fixed port lights with NFM fixed port lights.

I am thinking to replace all port lights with NFM opening port lights. Makes more sense for greater ventilation in the whole boat. What is the rationale behind people not replacing all port lights (opening or non) with opening port lights? Cost? Strength for heavy weather? Strictly looks?

jankowskiben

I replaced my fixed ports with new SS fixed castings from New Found Metals this spring. Machine skills (tap/dye +grinder) necessary to make ports flush.  NFM is just one person in the USA, nearing the end of his career.  The factory is in China.  Choose wisely. 

We've restored three Pearsons over the last 15+ years. NFM metals was my go-to, but not after the quality I received this spring.  I love their designs.  Hope circumstances change.

Ben

Jim S

I replaced all ports with NFM bronze in the mid 1980s.  Tremendous improvement with ventilation.  Look is great as well.  I cannot comment on the quality of thePhantom Dodger 08.jpg  current ports but mine were excellent.
Jim S

P69

Yes, opening ports make a huge difference in ventilation.  Aside from cost savings, I can't thing of any reason to not replace the fixed ports with opening ports (NFM or others).  Because my boat did not have fixed ports, I have no idea if they are stronger than NFM ports, but I suspect the NFM ports would increase the strength watertight of the cabin.

The portlights are made in China and there were months-long delivery issues (summer of 2022) with some of the port lights. Those delays might have resolved by now.  It very likely that they are made at this factory:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-supplier-boat-portlight-stainless-steel_60530411246.html?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.18.68dd24b1C8EqG6

https://tuopumetal.en.alibaba.com/search/product?scene=all&spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.dsrhbtn&groupId=800455187&SearchText=portlight

The images are the same as what are on NFM website and, if you look really closely, you can see what looks like NFM logo on some of the images from the alibaba site, but it's too blurry to know for sure.  Attached is an enlarged image of that blurry logo and an image from one of the portlights I installed. 
If you are comfortable with buying off of alibaba and can negotiate with their  reps, you might strike a great deal.  Additionally, if NFM goes under or Richard retires, this might be the source for future purchases.

I agree with Ben regarding NFM being a one-man operation, but if the portlights you receive have no issues, it doesn't matter if he quits or dies, your port lights are good.  Anyway, after 30 days, you are out of luck getting any issues resolved by NFM (see their warranty fine-print). See my other post regarding issues I encountered with the hardware and during install. 
https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=2268.msg11888

Working with Richard at NFM was easy. He knew his products and there were no issues with portlight size or any missing components.  For the most part, the screw lengths he recommended (and supplied), based on my cabin thickness measurements, worked.  I had to swap some out for different lengths because of my highly variable cabin side thickness.