Author Topic: Dinghy options?  (Read 71 times)

Jordan

• I really love my boat.
    • View Profile
Dinghy options?
« on: January 13, 2021, 10:52:15 AM »
Buying a new dinghy, and would appreciate some thoughts. We don't have an outboard either, but will be getting something around 9.9 horsepower (or lower).

It needs to be durable, since we are going to be spending most of our time at anchor. I'm thinking a rigid inflatable will be best, but it's freaking hard to find them outside of west marine. I will shop defender as well. Thoughts welcomed.

SV Azimuth

• View Profile
Re: Dinghy options?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
We bought a used but nice condition Caribe 9x a couple years ago and love it.

Pros:
- Rigid bottom, planing is a breeze
- Bigger tubes make for a dry and comfortable ride, feels really secure
- Storage locker in the bow is nice
- Second floor keeps everyone's feet dry
- Hypalon material is far superior to PVC

Cons:
- Heavy
- Water sometimes gets trapped between the outer floor and the second floor, I've been working through drain plug options to try and eliminate this

We've paired it with a 15hp 2-stroke Mercury for great results. I'd recommend the combo!

Jordan

• I really love my boat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 12:45:38 PM »
Damn, that's a fancy dinghy. I do think that I'm going to cough up the money for a rigid hull (not sure if aluminum or fiberglass, although I'm partial to fiberglass). I really want to sell our car, and this is a big step in that direction.

S/V Legacy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 03:08:08 PM »
I have a 9.9 fourstroke paired up with my dingy. I went the cheap route to save a few bucks (Newport vessel, its 9'6" and PVC but a very well built boat. I just know it wont last for more than 3-4 years most likely. So far after a year it still looks great. I intend to buy a good Hypalon inflatable with an aluminum bottom, before I leave to cruise)

While the 9.9 4 stroke is a great engine, its heavy as hell. Weighs in right at 100lbs, which can be a bit to handle transferring from dingy to boat. I used my mizzen boom as a lift point and it works well. Also take in consideration the weight of that dingy too. Glass bottom ribs tend to weigh more than aluminum.  I thought i was being slick buying an inflatable bottom with a plywood floor, thinking it would weigh much less... nope weighs about the same if not more.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy