News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Dinghy options?

Started by Jordan, January 13, 2021, 10:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Buying a new dinghy, and would appreciate some thoughts. We don't have an outboard either, but will be getting something around 9.9 horsepower (or lower).

It needs to be durable, since we are going to be spending most of our time at anchor. I'm thinking a rigid inflatable will be best, but it's freaking hard to find them outside of west marine. I will shop defender as well. Thoughts welcomed.

SV Azimuth

We bought a used but nice condition Caribe 9x a couple years ago and love it.

Pros:
- Rigid bottom, planing is a breeze
- Bigger tubes make for a dry and comfortable ride, feels really secure
- Storage locker in the bow is nice
- Second floor keeps everyone's feet dry
- Hypalon material is far superior to PVC

Cons:
- Heavy
- Water sometimes gets trapped between the outer floor and the second floor, I've been working through drain plug options to try and eliminate this

We've paired it with a 15hp 2-stroke Mercury for great results. I'd recommend the combo!

Jordan

Damn, that's a fancy dinghy. I do think that I'm going to cough up the money for a rigid hull (not sure if aluminum or fiberglass, although I'm partial to fiberglass). I really want to sell our car, and this is a big step in that direction.

S/V Legacy

I have a 9.9 fourstroke paired up with my dingy. I went the cheap route to save a few bucks (Newport vessel, its 9'6" and PVC but a very well built boat. I just know it wont last for more than 3-4 years most likely. So far after a year it still looks great. I intend to buy a good Hypalon inflatable with an aluminum bottom, before I leave to cruise)

While the 9.9 4 stroke is a great engine, its heavy as hell. Weighs in right at 100lbs, which can be a bit to handle transferring from dingy to boat. I used my mizzen boom as a lift point and it works well. Also take in consideration the weight of that dingy too. Glass bottom ribs tend to weigh more than aluminum.  I thought i was being slick buying an inflatable bottom with a plywood floor, thinking it would weigh much less... nope weighs about the same if not more.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

Sandy

I kinda go another way
first the engine, where Ive had a lot of good luck with Yamaha 5HP 2 stroke,
almost counter to suspicions of 2 strokes its very reliable, it has fewer parts and its damn easy to fix, so the dinghy has to fit the size engine.

Then its a matter of where to store a dinghy.
I quickly found that inflating deflating sounds fine in principle but doesnt work in practise
So either its inflated all the time, but then if it is maybe a hard dinghy might be better.
In either case storing on the foredeck doesnt seem desirable due to the lowness of the cockpit and having to peer over it all the time

No matter, if you tow your dinghy thats fine for coastal navigation, but you risk losing it and it wont fit that well when the weather is rough or you intend extended offshore.
Im not equipped for this but since fitting to the fore deck isnt an option, my thinking now that a stern davit is the best solution, but without having it swing around at eye level.
A combination of needs back there might be a good place to mount a swim platform or step

I havent properly evolved all these needs but I think a SS tube platform that folds against the transom encapsulating a purpose designed dinghy between
If it turns out that cant be satisfied, the fall back are half davits that pull the dinghy up to deck height,
attached with metal hooks and eye hardware, and a cover to stop turning the dinghy into a giant bucket

Dale Tanski

Two strokes are indeed lighter and as long as you run the correct amount of oil in the fuel they will run pretty much forever.  There is another major positive over a 4 stroke and that is you can lay them down in any orientation without an issue where as a 4 stroke has to be positioned in a very limited manor.  There is only one thing, they were outlawed by our outstanding government in 2006.  This makes the newest 2 stroke outboard you will be able to lay your hands on in this country will be at least 15 years old.  If it has been in salt water for most of that life, it's going to be on its way out from corrosion. 

If you really want a 2 stroke you have two options. 

1) Buy one from fresh water that has been well cared for.
2) Head to the islands.  They have been outlawed in the USA, UK & Canada but are still for sale brand spanking new in the islands and many other areas of the world.

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Sandy

Hmm I didnt realise that was going on
I just went to Yamaha Australia's page and no 2 strokes
then I see Tohatsu are selling them so I looked deeper
apparently :

''Passed on July 1, 2018, the new Outboard Emissions Law for small petrol engines of up to 19kW power (including all marine engines) sets new emission standards that render high-emission and carburettor-based two-stroke outboard engines non-compliant. '' https://www.boatfinance.com.au/blog/are-two-stroke-outboard-motors-banned/

further, they say theyre not banned and that direct injection models still have a place in the market
of course injection is worthwhile, but it is far from the simplicity I crave ...

its an interesting world

Dale Tanski

I happen to be a Tohatsu dealer and you are correct that injected 2 strokes do meet the 2006 USA environmental standards, however I do not believe anyone makes a two stroke injected motor below a 50 hp.  You may also be interest in the fact that Tohatsu makes Mercury's from 20hp down, Evenrude form 30hp down and many of the Hondas.  Tohatsu is the largest manufacture of outboards in the world. 

You wouldn't know it this years as we cannot get our hands on outboards period and Merc and Yamaha dealers cannot as well.  Even parts are drying up as well. 

And now you know....

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

SVJourney

I happen to be in the Bahamas and just bought a Mercury 3.5hp 2 stroke in Nassau.  It weighs 27lbs and cost $860.  Sweet and simple. I would highly recommend it.

We also have an older Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke but I wanted a light weight engine for beach landings.  It is also nice to have a spare while remote cruising in case one engine breaks down.

For a 365 dingy, I would do a 8-9 foot RIB.  We had a 10ft, but it was wider than the transom.  Bigger tubes will keep you drier.  Aluminum will make it easier to carry. 
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

Dale Tanski

Under that black paint, that new 2.5hp merc is a Tohatsu. Keep that in mind if you ever need parts.

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Jordan

Wow. I read these as they came in, but didn't make the time to respond. Either tonight or tomorrow, I need to provide an update. I'm at the new stringers and tuning the rig phase.