News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

365 Dingy Davits... Lets see them (plus bonus question)

Started by S/V Legacy, January 11, 2021, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S/V Legacy

I am about to pull the trigger on some dingy davits for Legacy. I would love to see what others have done. There doesn't seem to be much room from mounting things on that aft rail. The aft vertical rail supports also have some sweep to them which would magnify the angle of the davit from the base to the rail attachment. I'm looking at buying the Martek davits if that helps with any opinions. I just don't wanna put undue stress on my aft rails and rip them out or bend them.

Also on a side note... what are you guys using for Westerbeke W40 antifreeze? Im about to change out all my hoses, etc... and I want to make sure there arent any special considerations. Can I use the standard automotive 50/50 mix?
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

Jordan

I don't remember if you are sloop or ketch rigged, but I know on a ketch, I can't justify it. As far as coolant, I use the standard 50/50 mix from the auto parts store. Nothing has overheated yet.

My previous mechanic did mention issues he'd seen with internal rust and using tap water, and suggested poor coolant (in Florida, no need really for antifreeze). I've stick with 50/50 and City water (I wouldn't use well water here).

S/V Legacy

I have a ketch, and normally keep my dingy up on the cabin top. It can be a real pain getting it up and down from there, and it really affects my forward vision.

Thanks for the coolant info, I had a feeling it was standard coolant. I have seen some posts about a coolant that was used at one time that would gel up in the system. Just wanna make sure I dont make that mistake.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

S/V Deo Volente

I worked with a machine shop to have davits made using square aluminum tubing. They also attach to the stern rail. There is an electric winch under the deck for each davit.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

S/V Legacy

That's a beautiful pilot house version. Very nice davits also. I considered going the route of having a custom built job done, but getting anyone in this area (who knows what they are doing) to do the job is a huge ordeal. I'm having to go a prefab route, but I think I've got how its going to be done nailed down.

Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

S/V Legacy

Just wanted to update... got my Martek Davits installed... very happy with them. They are very sturdy.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

Sandy

Just wanted to mention how I get serious pilothouse boat envy looking at Deo Volente
I do wonder about looking over the pilothouse to steer from the aft helm though

but wanted to add I dont like having a dinghy swing around so high
as as Scott mentions stowing forward doesnt really work when you get to try it because of blocking vision.
my own ideas lead me to think about deck mounted davits about half breadth, or mid hoist for the dinghy
sort of like the now less popular bumkins which we dont seem to see around anymore
and a cover for the dinghy
Id even be happy to use the winches to pull it up or down

S/V Deo Volente

Believe me I would not put up with letting the dinghy swing! Usually it can be secured with a bow and stern line crossing each other. For longer passages I add a strap around the dinghy and the rail for extra security in case of bad weather.
As far as sight lines with the pilothouse, it seems all of us have added a platform of some sort to look over the pilothouse when standing. I usually sit on the combing when sailing and just look through the pilothouse. The genoa is the biggest obstruction.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

Jim S

I have the original removable davits.  The dinghy hangs about the height of the combing.  We do secure it with four lines: one at the bow , one at the stern and two breast lines.  If the dinghy is allowed to swing and slide around it will rub on anything on the stern of the mother boat.
Jim S

Jim S

We also use a small fender tied between the inflatable and the mother boat.  There is always some movement and tearing a hole in the inflatable will ruin your entire day.
Jim S

Sandy

which is true Jim,

but some of the features of it are you haul the boat up on your own with mechanical advantage.
You dont have to unship the engine, nor are you concerned about the weight of it or the handling
... and a hard dinghy is also accommodated better than slinging it over the cabin roof, so more options
I guess at a pinch the dinghy suffices as a swim platform