Author Topic: Stack pac/ Mack pack/ etc  (Read 107 times)

CaptCG

• View Profile
Stack pac/ Mack pack/ etc
« on: April 05, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
Does anyone have a stack pack or equivalent for the mainsail vs a standard sailcover?  Would like your thoughts if you have one.  I sail solo and think it would nice to have that setup. I do have a full batten main lazy jacks.

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
Re: Stack pac/ Mack pack/ etc
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 10:17:10 AM »
Years back "stack packs" or whatever the marketing name depending on brand were a hot item.  Today not so much.  I suspect price has a lot to do with it as correctly done they are around $2k.  They are indeed nice as they create a "catcher" for the sail as it is lowered.  You simple drop the main and zip it shut.  You have full battens so the sail will remain relatively neat as it is dropped.  Where we see issues is when someone wants a Dutchman system and the StackPak.  Too much stuff going on and the zip up mechanism becomes an issue. 

You mentioned that you have lazy jacks.  Those provide a similar "catching" system and doesn't detract visually as a StakPak, if it isn't white, typically does not look that good.  There are plenty of positives but I will mention one last negative.  Up north at the end of the season, we take everything off for the winter season.  Removing a StakPak is a two person at best requirement for a 365.  They have full length battens sewn into them and the whole lot (sail and canvas) has to be removed all at once.  They are both heavy and awkward to move and store.

Best of luck...

Dale

"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.