Author Topic: Code zero sail  (Read 598 times)

CaptCG

• View Profile
Code zero sail
« on: December 01, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »
Hi All,
Does anyone out there have a code 0 sail w/ roller furler?  If so, what has been your experience with it.
Thanks,
Carl N
sv Sea Hiker

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
Re: Code zero sail
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
Carl,
Are you racing the boat?
If not a Code 0 will be of little use as it has a very narrow apparent wind angle.

Dale
Obersheimers
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »
I'm totally confused on just twhat a code zero does.  I need a downwind solution that improves on my poled out 135 genoa. People havce suggested a code zero, but Dale has me questioning that. This snippet from Quantums web site:

"A Code 0 is classified as a spinnaker in terms of racing, hence the restriction on the length of the midgirth, but it’s not a true downwind sail. If you’re going downwind, you’ll use either a symmetrical or asymmetrical spinnaker. While it does depend on the wind speed, especially for boats without a 155% genoa, there’s a lot of range between the jib and the first true spinnaker. As soon as you crack off even 5° from the range of the jib, you could be into Code 0 territory.

"In very light air, up to eight knots, a Code 0 designed with a longer leech and lower clew can be sheeted inboard and used at a higher angle. A higher clew with the sail sheeted to the back of the boat is a reaching Code 0, and can be used in slightly higher breeze. In an ideal world, we’d sell every boat two Code 0s: One for upwind and one for reaching, but we know most boats can only carry one. Whether you’re a racer or a cruiser, it comes back to that question from the sailmaker—what do you want to do with this sail?"

For our heavy cruisers, what is a good, reasonable to handle down wind solution?

CaptCG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:48:43 AM »
I sail solo and wanted improved off-the-wind and light air sailing.  Thought the Code0 on a furler would be easier for me  to handle vs a asymmetrical. Got the idea from Pingel’s column in Sailing. I would have mine cut more for reaching.

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
I have attemped to answer your Code 0 question in a simple form but for several reasons I haven't been able to finish it.  I will eventually get there.

Dale
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:37:29 AM by Dale Tanski »
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

CaptCG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 08:34:07 AM »
Thanks Dale.  Always appreciate and value your input

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »
Same here Dale. I appreciate and respect your input-but understand work gets in the way of life-even when work is your life:). No hurry on this end-dreaming of spring while I peel the bottom of Walkabout!

Jordan

• I really love my boat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 01:21:16 PM »
I have attemped to answer your Code 0 question in a simple form but for several reasons I haven't been able to finish it.  I will eventually get there.

Dale

I'm assuming one of those reasons is because you just had this discussion with me. I've gone ahead and posted your response to me below, so everyone can see. Bear in mind, we were specifically talking about a ketch.

From Dale:

Code Zero... It has a sexy name and congers the image of speed to everyone that wants one.  The reality of it all is the Code Zero was conceived to fill a requirement in newer designed race boats to optimize their performance on certian points of sail.  In that reguard they do so very well, however on boats that were designed and built before that concept was even thought of, they do very little except raise the overall cost of one's sail inventory. Will it help increase your broad reaching boat speed? Yes, but what is the payback or dollar per knot? Off the wind is most boats fastest point of sail regardless of the headsail that is flown.  For your boat, a ketch, it was designed just for that.  Ketches and yawls are not known for their upwind pointing ability. If you want to do that all day as efficiantly as you can, buy a sloop, but if you want to cover ground comfortably, crack off a bit and a ketch or yawl will take you there in a hurry.  Need more speed? Add that mizzen staysail you mentioned or a asymetricle spinnaker.  The spinnaker will give you the highest speed for dollar off of the wind for sure.  The mizzen staysail will add speed but the price per quarter of a knot will not provide the same return as a asym kite.

In the case of a Code Zero, a race boat really doesn't have a return on investment for additional speed unless it wins.  So... adding a Code 0 to the inventory that is realistically is only truly usable for a narrow angle off of the wind if it helps the boat win is justifiable.  For a 18,000 lb 36ft cruising boat... not so much.  Yesterdays Code 0's were tough to hoist and retrieve and very specific in their use regarding windspeed and angle of attack.  Today with top down furlers and a wider array of cloth to build them out of, they are much better.  Would I buy one for my P365?  No, and my price is better than yours.  I just can't justify the price per knot and besides it's kind of like fitting racing tires on a model A.

We will sell anyone whatever they desire and insist on, but our internal code of ethics will always try to inform that individual the pros and the cons of the purchase before they shell out their hard earned cash.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:22:57 PM by Jordan »