Author Topic: New Sink! (and faucet)  (Read 303 times)

SV Azimuth

• View Profile
New Sink! (and faucet)
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:12:15 PM »
Galley sink upgrade aboard our P365! We pulled out the original sink (I believe it was 14" x 14" x 8") and installed a 40" x 19" x 10" workstation sink. We liveaboard in the San Francisco Bay Area and find that when sailing, most loose items end up in the sink. That still might happen but there's a lot more room for temporary storage while keeping the sink usable. It's stainless and has two-track grooving to allow for a drying rack and cutting board to integrate, among other accessories that we haven't thought about yet. The faucet is also stainless, has the one-level toggle (which I prefer for keeping the ideal temperature while allowing you to turn it on or off), and has a pull-out head.

We needed to cut out the counter into that top-down storage area to the left of the oven, but because the sink is only two inches deeper than the original, we retain a lot of the bottom volume through a side-opening area now under the sink.

We installed a Blue Seas ACR in the lazarette to replace the interior battery switch and will be moving that AC outlet so we can finish the tile.

I will say, the galley feels larger, more functional, and more modern now  ;D

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
Re: New Sink! (and faucet)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:42:27 PM »
First rate upgrade!  Solves a lot of the inconvenience.

Jordan

• I really love my boat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 06:51:08 AM »
Wow. That's a hell of a setup. Obviously I'm doing something different, because that storage area you have access to underneath is one of the most used storage areas for us. What does that access under the sink look like?

SV Azimuth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »
Hah, thanks! I'm really curious how you're using that space Jordan. We found that it was awkward to access and that water from the sink found its way in more often than not... that combined with the non-existent air flow led to a damp and moldy area more often than not.

I haven't finished the new access so no photos yet, but my plan is to build a side-opening door from under the sink. The new sink is only 2" deeper than the old so we retain a good amount of volume in that area.

Jordan

• I really love my boat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 03:11:18 PM »
Hah, thanks! I'm really curious how you're using that space Jordan. We found that it was awkward to access and that water from the sink found its way in more often than not... that combined with the non-existent air flow led to a damp and moldy area more often than not.

I haven't finished the new access so no photos yet, but my plan is to build a side-opening door from under the sink. The new sink is only 2" deeper than the old so we retain a good amount of volume in that area.

Part of the difference is probably that my galley is still not up to functional. No stovetop or oven, just a microwave. So we actually store all of our other kitchen gadgets in there, of which we get out at least one every single day.