News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Water pump

Started by Jordan, July 25, 2020, 02:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Well, huh. The engine starts and purrs. It's nice. Doing some more maintenance and checks before going out tomorrow. Unfortunately, it looks like something got missed or just finally failed.

Take a look at this video (you really only need to watch for 20 seconds, the rest was messing with the phone). I'm going to have Ray come back and take a look at it, but from what I understand, this must be one of the seals having failed (or a bolt missing). So, once I have this working, and something like this happens again, would the route be to just replace the impellers?

I did stumble across this quote from S/V AMITY in an old thread:

Quote from: S/V AMITY on February 12, 2020, 10:22:08 PM
    In process of rebuilding the W-44 raw water pump.  Have stripped the Westerbeke red off down to the bronze and will not be repainting it for inspection purposes.  By that I mean if/when the pump shaft water seal begins to fail, we will be able to detect the leak much sooner since bare bronze will quickly develop green surface corrosion.  With a painted pump, a leak can remain undetected until the paint starts to fail (if it does) and the water slinger has had a chance to mist seawater all over the engine.  Many rusted engines got that way thanks to a weepy pump.

So the fact that it's green is actually a sign that something is going on, and I can use it as such. I think I'll clean the hell out of the thing once it's off, and put that on my list of things to check.

So no sailing on this boat tomorrow. :( Still might go out with someone else.

SVJourney

I think you are looking at the raw water pump, though your post does say which pump failed.

read this before you reinstall:  https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1907.0
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

Jordan

Quote from: SVJourney on July 25, 2020, 11:24:53 PM
I think you are looking at the raw water pump, though your post does say which pump failed.

read this before you reinstall:  https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1907.0

I saw that. One of the reasons I'm calling Ray. It is the raw water pump. I think he probably just forgot to put a screw in there or something. I'll be watching what he does very carefully if I'm here.

Jordan

Apparently, a seal came out somehow while replacing the injector pump. Hopefully by tomorrow we should be good to go with the engine. Fingers crossed!!

Jordan

Okay, confirmed that it is a Sherwood G 65 pump. I'm pretty sure Ray will oursource a rebuild if we get the kit, and I want to learn how to do it. I'm thinking of buying a new one and getting it installed. I'll buy a rebuild kit, and at some point when I have some time, I'll rebuild the existing one. $508 including shipping seems to be the cost of a new unit, an impeller kit, and the gasket.

I also have some Sherwood 10077k impellers, so now I know they aren't for the raw water pump.

SVJourney

Bearings and seals are available for a fraction of the cost of a kit at bearing supply stores.  For instance, I took my old ones to Miller Bearings in Ft Lauderdale and they hooked me up for under $20.  Buy 2 sets.  You only need a deft and soft hand with a mallet to install them so there is your back-up pump.
Pay attention to which direction the seal is installed before removing it.
Buy a roll of gasket paper of the right thickness at a auto parts store to make pump gaskets if you want to DIY.  Also handy to have around for other things and or other people.  Want to be the hero of the anchorage?  Whip out a badly needed gasket for another cruiser.
And very very important to do the alignment procedure: https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1907.0
Have a spare impeller.
No problem.  :)
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

Jordan

Ah yes!! Thank you much for the reminder. I haven't looked into the rebuild kit just yet, since I'm ordering a new one, but I will. Your confidence is inspiring.

Oh, btw, I talked about Serendipity to Ray (my mechanic). Turns out MXT was chatting with him about life on a boat, since he just got a good offer on his house and sold it. So she did a quick bit of boat shopping (not sail, motor), and told him that M/V's without a working motor are super cheap, and since he happens to know how to fix said engine, he might be able to find him a good deal. I told him about you guys, and showed him a pic of the boat. To that end, he's going to look at a $7000 one MXT found for him while practice-boat shopping. How funny is that? We've created a monster!

Jordan

The saga continues. And I'm not sure if I'm being an entitled asshole or not. I'm leaning towards probably, but I'm not sure.

After I decided I could rebuild the existing one later, and get a new one to install now. So I searched about, and found Marine Pump Direct. Seemed to be a decent price, and they had a website. On 7/30, I ordered it. Tracking showed it as delivered Monday, but there was nothing there. The order was this:

Cart ItemsSKUQtyItem PriceItem Total
Sherwood Impeller Kit 9959K9959K1$19.75 USD$19.75 USD
Sherwood Pump G65G651$463.71 USD$463.71 USD
Westerbeke 11143111431$9.45 USD$9.45 USD
Subtotal:$492.91 USD
Shipping:$15.64 USD
Grand Total:$508.55 USD

It never showed. As far as I know, it was never sent (I'm being a bit pedantic here, but tracking information updated on a screen does not indicate evidence of the existence of the product). So I contacted the seller, who wasn't helpful. So then I wrote them back, explaining that I was pretty pissed about my engine not working. I escalated it on my end, but I expected them to escalate it on theirs as the seller. From a purely capitalist standpoint, I provided them money, and did not receive what I paid for. And yeah, I know I picked USPS shipping. Which is part of why I think I'm being a bit of an ass. But still, I've always been of the opinion that when you have a customer, you follow through, at least until they got it, and when you are notified they didn't, there are actions you can take. But regardless, MXT called them today. I'm getting anxious about this engine right now, and based on the conversation she had, I ordered another one, shipped it to a secure mailbox, and shipped it via UPS this time. But I haven't heard back from the post office. I'm really tempted to just mark it as fraud with my credit card company. For now, I can afford the $500 extra dollars, so hopefully this next one gets here and I can get her running again.

Do I have too high of expectations? I mean, the level of professionalism in Florida has completely floored me since I've been here (they are at sub-basement levels), so maybe my perspective is all messed up. Regardless, still no water pump. I'll write in the Furler thread with details on that front (and a company that seems to have been an exception to the rule), but I've got halyards holding up my mast and it makes me nervous. Combine it with no engine, and I can tell I'm getting a bit...antsy. I know a label has been printed, and since they are on the West coast, hopefully it'll actually ship today.

Oh, I also discovered that Marine Pump Direct, Marine Engine Direct and Trans Pacific Distributors are all the same company. Same office, same inventory, but I could have sworn I saw different prices earlier.

Jordan

Second one arrived yesterday. Soon!!

I wanted to double check something. So I have a brand new Sherwood G 65. I popped off the port where the impeller goes, just to see it, and put everything back. Reading Service Bulletin 10, it says to make sure the alignment is good, and make sure that the correct number of gaskets is used. That would be for the previous unit, right? I don't think I have to take those off and double check, but I'm not sure.

I do feel pretty good about the alignment process, just not sure about the clearance requirements. Thoughts?

Jordan

New water pump got installed on Tuesday. Yesterday, the rest of the standing rigging on the main was installed, and now we're starting on the mizzen. Once the rig is tuned, I'll take her for a spin hopefully. I did move back and forth in the slip a bit! Even at High RPMs, she just sounds good. I made a big deal out of making sure that it was aligned properly. I am probably going to do a full recap, but we'll see. Life is busy these days.