News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Mainsail Wanted

Started by Dale Tanski, July 05, 2020, 09:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Tanski

It's a long story, but I had an out of town customer contact me that purchased a 365 ketch that needed a mainsail to get the boat home call me looking for a used main.  One thing led to another and I ended up selling them my own personal mainsail. 
This all happened about three years ago but as many of you know my boat hasn't been in the water for years due to family issues, lack of a slip and most of all, business obligations. 
So... at the end of last year we acquired a slip and made the decision to launch this year.  Covid upset everything and shut down my ability to acquire a new mainsail this spring as planned, so I find myself with a boat about to launch and no main. Does anyone have even a rag of a main for a ketch that I could purchase to get by this season?  I know what you must be thinking, we own a sail loft and can't come up with a sail for our own boat.  Yup, that is exactly the situation I find myself in.
A Catalina 30 is close, perfect on the foot but 2 feet short in the hoist, but we don't even have one of these laying around. We do have a nice used Chance 30-30 main in stock, but it is over 2 feet short along the foot and a couple of feet short in hoist.  I guess in 30 knots it would do nicely. Everything we have in used inventory is way too small or way too big. We don't keep many of our customers cast offs unless they are truly usable due to storage space limitations.
So if you have anything I could use let me know.

Thanks....
Dale Tanski
Obersheimer Sailor Supply
Buffalo, New York
Maruska
Hull #40 
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

SV Alfresco

I have an old mainsail from my 367 cutter that you can have. When I asked the guy from Hood how old it was, he said we haven't done that type of stitching in 25 years.

Mike

Dale Tanski

Mike,
Sorry for the delay in my response, crazy summer.  I would be honored to repurpose your mainsail. I needs a slight modification to fit but we are more than capable and willing to do so.  I would also be glad to provide you with a store credit for your generosity.  I will send you our shipping account number so you do not have any out of pocket to get it here.
Thanks again so much for saving our shirt season.
Dale Tanski
Obersheimers
Buffalo NY
Maruska
Hull #40 Ketch
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

SV Alfresco

Hi Dale,
Glad to be of help. Since I've never shipped a sail before, how should I pack it. It is already in a sailbag.

Mike

Dale Tanski

We just put sails in a sturdy cardboard box.  I will have someone contact you with the shipper information tomorrow. 
Thanks again...
Dale Tanski
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

SV Alfresco

Dale,

Still haven't heard from anyone on shipping information. Sail is boxed up and ready to go.

Mike

Jordan

Quote from: SV Alfresco on July 23, 2020, 11:55:22 AM
????

I'm pretty sure I saw contact info for his shop somewhere on here. Maybe try calling?

Dale Tanski

Mike,
So sorry, we have been so damn busy.  Normally by the 4th of July things slow down a bit and we can reorganize and get a grip.  This year has been so different.  Relentless would be the word.  I will do my best to remember to have Rian contact you Monday to provide you with our shipping account information. 
Thank you for your patience.

Dale Tanski
Obersheimers
Maruska Hull #40
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Dale Tanski

Mike,
Thank you so much for the main.  It arrived safe and sound.  Send me your last name and I will give you $150 store credit if that is OK with you.  When you need something just give us a call.
Thanks again...

Dale
Obersheimers
(716) 877-8221
Maruska Hull #40
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.