News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Post fuel filter replacement priming

Started by Jordan, June 26, 2020, 02:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

During the course of troubleshooting my engine (westerbeke 40), I replaced the racor filter, and the one on the engine. I cannot for the life of me figure out which bolt is the air vent so that I can prime the system. I'm sure it's just something stupid I'm missing, but any advice?

Jordan

Well, part of the issue is that I searched for prime, not priming, and also didn't search for bleeding (as in bleeding the air out of the system). That being said, I think I know what I'm going to do in the future, based on the rebuild thread https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=2051.msg10800#msg10800. Foley fuel filter system I think. Guidance would still be appreciated, as I'm just googling about on my way home from work.

Jordan

Okay, I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure.

Here is my secondary fuel pump (I think that's what it's called).

Now, the image shown in the manual shows this:

Obviously, mine isn't the same. However, I did notice that there was one screw that did not have a fuel line going to it. I think I can use this as a vent. Thoughts?

P69

I don't have  westerbeke, so can't help you much, but did you find this https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1898.0

Look at the "...UserModified" file, it might shed some light on what you ned.

Jordan

Thanks for replying. I may be close to having this figured out. It also turns out that my Raritan inverter charger doesn't charge the batteries. Or invert. Honestly, it's just an adapter/surge protector/splitter.

For those following along in real time, do not try to l loosen the bolt I pointed at. Don't. The bolt in the middle with the two fuel lines going to it is also the vent. Also, don't bother trying to fill up your filter via that port. More later.

Jordan

Well shit. Finally got her bled (turns out that about half a crank saves a lot of time with that priming level), but she wouldn't start. Further inspection showed some slight bulging on one of the batteries (cheap everlast from wal-mart). Voltage seemed fine, but replaced it anyway. I still am going to upgrade to LiFePO4's, but my focus is getting her out to be a sailboat, and then worry about the rest of it.

Still nothing, and I've got no other ideas. Started calling around for mechanics. Not the greatest time to do so, and I was transferred from place to place about 6 times. Recommendations to check the Westerbeke site, the Perkins site, etc were not extremely helpful. However, I convinced one company to ask their head generator tech (the only one with Perkins experience) if he would take the job. The other place needs some paperwork, and won't come out until week after next. I'm glad that this should be a one time thing, since once I get over this speed bump, I'll feel more comfortable troubleshooting engine issues.

It turns out that everyone I've met and talked with in this Marina have electric engines in their boat, and/or know nothing about diesels.

SVJourney

1) The Beke is a bitch to bleed.  You may think you have it, but good chance you don't.  One small bubble and it won't start.

2)  You can easily mess up the eng fuel filter when changing it and not know it.  If you put the o-ring on the filter instead of inside the filter housing it will never start.  (learn from my and several others fail)  You will still see fuel when bleeding but you have blocked the filter and it won't start.  Take the filter back off, install the o-ring in the housing, reinstall and rebleed.

3)  Bleed in accordance with this service bulletin:  https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=1925.0
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

jpendoley

Listen to SVJourney very carefully. That little fuel filter will stall you every time if the o ring is installed on the filter and not on the housing-and I don't recall the manual stressing that enough.  Also, you will break your heart and lose a ton of time trying to fill the filter with the hand pump on the engine mounted fuel pump.  Its driven off lobes on the cam, if the cam lobe is not in the right spot, it doesn't pump. Half a crank and it will pump- BUT each stroke delivers a tiny amount of fuel. Most folk install an electric fuel pump that they use for priming or just run it in tandem with the engine mounted fuel pump. Makes priming and bleeding a breeze.  About $60 from Facet.  They make many models-you want one that has a check valve that won't let fuel drain back into the tank but will let the engine mounted original pump pull fuel through it. I'll get you the Facet  pump part number when I go to the boat today. I can prime and bleed my Westerbeke in 5 minutes-before I installed the electric I struggled for hours just like you. The Westerbeke is a great little power plant, but understanding and mastering fuel delivery is absolutely critical.
The Foley spin on adapter does help-no more foolishness with o-rings, but the electric pump for priming (and running if you want) makes priming and bleeding a breeze.

Jordan

I actually remembered what svjourney said about that secondary filter. I actually did it twice. If it's as finicky as you said, maybe that's it. I can try again. And the better half is making some runs today, so I'll have her pickup a fuel pump. We were already thinking about it. Does that mean I wouldn't need to try and fill that filter with diesel?

Jordan

All right. I have actions I can take!! That complete loss of knowing what to do was getting me down. I think I might need to allot more time for research of any issue. Anyway, after pouring through the bleeding issues, I have decided that I am going to start from scratch with the Secondary Fuel Filter. I may not have kept good track of the O-Rings being included. So my troubleshooting steps are as follows (since the issue is she won't start).

1. Purchase new Secondary Fuel Filter from Advance Auto (I will use this table to find a compatible one).
2. Install new filter and all O-rings without trying to fill the filter with diesel.
3. Install either a 12 volt fuel pump or a bulb priming pump right after the Racor filter. I may purchase locally for a premium, but that's because I'm getting impatient living on a boat that I can't get out of the slip, and I have a 3 day weekend. However, if I were to get a bulb pump, I think I would get this one. If I go the electric route, I think something like this would work.
4. Purchase a wobble extension set from Harbor Freight (I had these before, but sold them when getting rid of everything) like this and this.
5. Identify a tool to consistently and easily measure the ID and OD of lines (a lifetime plumber who lives on the same dock is going to be providing me advice here, and I'm not good enough to eyeball it). It's called a micrometer.
6. Check the 1977 Westerbeke manual service bulletins about bleeding the system (#3 from SVJourney). That bulletin was released in 1972, but this is a 1977, so I want to make sure I check. I may have missed it.

I recently redid the solar connection to the batteries, and now have a couple of big alligator terminal clips. I think I'll use these to provide power temporarily, and maybe install a switch.

Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Jordan

Okay! I replaced (again) the secondary fuel filter. With all of the thoughts rattling around my head, I wanted to be sure of the gaskets. Again, the new filter had 2 o-rings and 3 gaskets in two sizes. I found an old puralator filter box. We bought a carquest one initially, and this most recent one was a wix. The Purolator box had a sheet of paper in it, explaining where the gaskets go. I'll scan it and upload it here. I didn't bother trying to fill it, since I bought a fuel pump. A boat neighbor recommended using Vaseline or something in the galley prior to installation. I tweaked my neck, and swore to replace that stupid cav filter, but I still managed to change that filter and all o-rings and gaskets without spilling a drop of diesel! It turns out a plastic grocery bag with the oil absorbent rags makes it less messy (still a PITA). Tomorrow, the pump gets installed, and I bleed the system. At some point, I want to pick brains on how to position oneself. My feet sweat, and I bash my foot on the thruhull as I slip around. This heat wave really sucks.

Jordan

All right. Everything installed, vent ports open, turn pump on and...nothing. I'm super pissed off right now, but the idea of putting her on the hard and doing a proper refit (and finding a freaking rental and all that) is appealing to me more and more. I lost another crucial socket somewhere. Moving onboard, and then working from the boat, while trying to learn how to work on the boat, it doesn't seem to be working.