Author Topic: Broken Anchor Platform/Bowsprit and Foredeck Core Rot  (Read 251 times)

Ruvel

• View Profile
Broken Anchor Platform/Bowsprit and Foredeck Core Rot
« on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm a proud owner of a new to me 365 Ketch, s/v Ishtar, hull #308. The first project I'll be tackling is dealing with the broken off anchor platform and core rot extending outward from the cowl. There also appears to be some core weakening around the aft supports of the pulpit. I've been searching around and see different modifications for thexample anchor platform but I'm undecided about which way to go. I would definitely appreciate some advise.

Ruvel

Thanks,
Ruvel
S/V Ishtar
Ketch, Hull 308

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
Re: Broken Anchor Platform/Bowsprit and Foredeck Core Rot
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 02:46:04 PM »
Inexpensive:  Replace the platform with a solid piece of timber.  Use what's left of you old platform to template it out on a piece of white oak or similar.

Expensive:(but cool!) Have someone fabricate a stainless platform.

I broke mine off and a craftsman in NZ suggested fiberglass over marine plywood.  Ended up being very expensive (labor) and just not as cool.
I do like the original design but there are some people here who have built that platform and added a stay for a light air sail or genoa farther forward.  As a 365 lacks in fore trinangle area, I think that would be worthwhile if you were going cruising.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

Ruvel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
I guess I'll start by removing everything and assess the repairs needed to the deck. I'll also need to install a windlass at some point so I'll have to consider that in the design. In the meantime, I'll keep looking around for ideas and if anyone has pictures of their proven setup, please share.

I know I'm probably overthinking this but I don't want to later say, "I should have done it this way or that way.
S/V Ishtar
Ketch, Hull 308

mike meier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »
Ruvel,  I replaced my sprit on my 367 during a refit in 2005. I have photos on a flash drive and will try an get them to you.  I used the "butcher block" fashion out of  teak.  I ordered the teak through Jamestown as they had the dimensions I needed in stock and it would not be as wasteful.  I installed a Lofrans Cayman for a windless and am very happy with it.   Here goes. I'm trying to send three, and if they don't work, I can send them via e-mail

Mike Meier

mike meier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »
Ruvel, now that I think that I have the hang of it, I'll send you a few more. I use three threaded 5/16 rod to join the planks.  Before that, though, they were all glued with epoxy and screwed together.  The fitting on the bow was made for me by a metal worker I knew at the time and  the 3/16 stainless bracket was difficult to say the least and after it was finished, he swore me to secrecy as to who built it. He never wanted to do another one, he said.  By  the way,  I have had some wet core repaired around my stainsail track and am replaceing the old Nicr-Fico X track with a lower profile Harken one. If you want it and the hardware with it, let me know.  Its free.

Mike Meier

Ruvel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for the information and the pictures, it will be very helpful for me.

Your setup looks quite nice and very well made. I think I'll go with something very similar. Is the length of the platform same as the original and what's the total length of yours? (As mine is broken right at the bow and I have no clue).

Thank you for the offer of the staysail track but I don't know if it'll work for me, I have the ketch and besides this is my first sailboat, bought it 2 weeks ago, so I don't know much of anything at the moment. Hopefully that'll change soon.

Ruvel
S/V Ishtar
Ketch, Hull 308

mike meier

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »
Ruvel, yes the spirt is the same length.  I did widen it, however, so that I could house two anchors, one was a CQR, the other a 33 Bruce. The width was increased to 12".  By the pictures, the after end of he sprit was the original width and the additional width was "stepped" as  you can see. If I had made it 12" all the way, it wouldn't have fit.  Also, if you cut into the core, as I did, there was 1/2" plywood down the spine of the deck. Yes it was wet, but the balsa was not.  I replaced the plywood.  If I were to do it again, which I am not, I would use coosa board or G-10.  Those things weren't available when I did mine in 2005. 

Good luck, climbing around the anchor locker to take things a part, is not something I envy and, at my stage in life, I don't wish to do it.

Good luck

Mike Meier

mike meier

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »
Ruvel, one more thing, my boat is in the shed having some wet core fixed around the old stay sail track and mast partner.  I am not allowed in there (virus) but when I am I'll measure the length. You shouldn't have any trouble with the length if you measure the two pieces, though.

SVJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »
LOL, IF he has the 2 pieces!  The front half of mine is still at the bottom of Hiva Oa harbor. 

Ruvel, I am sure someone here will chime in with the length for ya.  But you can easily wing it just by looking at the pullpit and guessing where you would like the platform to end.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

mike meier

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 04:35:01 PM »
Well, of course,  it didn't occur to me that the forward part of the thing may not exist. Yeah, that is a problem.

Mike Meier

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 08:22:21 AM »
My anchor sprit was replaced with 1 inch of G10 covered in teak. The shop had done one on a Pearson 367 a couple years before. I am sure something else would break long before this platform.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

SVJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
@S/V Deo Volente  That looks awesome.  I just looked up G10 properties, and yeah, you could probably lift your boat out of the water with that.

Ruvel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 02:25:25 PM »
Good luck, climbing around the anchor locker to take things a part, is not something I envy and, at my stage in life, I don't wish to do it.

Good luck

Mike Meier

Tell me about it. I spent the better part of the day yesterday on it and I'm only about 60% done, taking it apart that is. Hurts everywhere, but the good news is by this coming Sunday, I will have forgotten about it and be back at it again.
S/V Ishtar
Ketch, Hull 308

SVJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 03:07:27 PM »
@Ruvel  I bought a cheap 3" foam cushion and cut it to fit after emptying and cleaning the locker.  It helped these old knees a lot. 

As an aside, I think every crew should have an 80lb woman with small hands just to fit into places like that!

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2020, 08:26:12 AM »
@S/V Deo Volente  That looks awesome.  I just looked up G10 properties, and yeah, you could probably lift your boat out of the water with that.
Yes it would break the deck before failing. The original was supported with a strut from underneath but broke with sideways loading during a series of violent thunderstorms.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob