News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Teak V-groove of death

Started by S/V AMITY, May 26, 2020, 02:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Quote from: S/V AMITY on June 01, 2020, 01:35:55 PM
  Yesterday removed, re-countersunk, re-installed & bunged ~70 cap rail screws.  Set the bungs in varnish so they're removable if need be.

Very nice! How do you like the result?

S/V AMITY

S/V AMITY

Picture of some of the replaced bungs.  The rail was wet so that's why the rail looks lumpy.

Also finally got the last of the chain plates in.  Started raining while I was working below and saw some drips coming from the port side water fill fitting.  Thought the fitting was cracked or the cap was leaking but upon removal of the fitting from the deck found no bedding whatsoever.  Must've been leaking for a long, long time.  Drip was hidden because it was behind the wood panel inside the locker.  Re-bedded the fill fitting with butyl as shown in the picture.

Looking for a recommendation for good paint stripper to get paint off the cabin top.  Somewhere along the line some misguided soul painted it with fizzy-can paint.  Want to get it back to the gelcoat. 

S/V AMITY

Picture I forgot to attach:

S/V AMITY

Gawd, I need coffee!!!

Here is the picture of the bungs:

S/V AMITY

Misc. pictures below of progress.  Wound up removing all the bungs in the cockpit teak coaming, resetting screws and re-bunging.  Winches removed for servicing or replacement with self-tailing.  The white bumps where the winches & cleats were are temporary butyl tape plugs to keep the core dry until the Awlwood work is done and the hardware is back on.

Removed the two original plastic bilge blower air scoops on aft coaming to be replaced with Vetus mushrooms.  See:  https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1647377 .  Advantage of this type vent is they can be screwed closed to watertight for dirty sea conditions where there's a possibility of green water on deck.  Much lower profile... less for a line to fetch up on.  Will also replace the existing dorade over the shower with these.   Cheers!

SVJourney

Thanks for the pics!  Looks to be nearing a good sanding and finish stage.
Wondering if you keep your boat under cover all year or is that just a winter cover?  We are going to be looking at winter covering our boat which isn't done much around here in the PNW.  What are you using for a cover?

Wayne
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

S/V AMITY

My location is US northeast so we generally cover for the winter.  I've left the winter cover on so far because I've had the hatches off for re-working.  As soon as she's watertight again on deck in a week or so, cover will come off.  Hot as **** working in there with the cover trapping the summer heat.  Cover is shrink wrap which only extends down to just above the cap rail (see attached) for good ventilation.  In the fall will have a new shrink cover of the same configuration put on.

When/if you do cover the boat make sure there's plenty of free-air circulation otherwise you will develop mold below.

S/V AMITY

Cockpit coaming started.  Starting with 60 grit and will work down to 220.  Big chunk of the job time is eaten up by the v-grooves. 

S/V AMITY

Pushpit, cleats & pad eyes off.  As measured from where the cleat bases sat, total teak erosion about 1/16"... not bad for a 40 yr. old boat.  Primary sanding with 60 grit working down to 220.  Will lay 8 to 10 coats of Awlwood before remounting hardware.  Replacing all mounting screws.  Schaefer still makes the same pattern cleats so will be replacing the originals.  Pictures below.

S/V AMITY

One more:

SVJourney

That's some strange looking green water you got under yer boat!
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

S/V AMITY

Yup, weedy bottom but haven't dragged yet as of this writing. Ground tackle made by Brownell.