Author Topic: 365 Ketch - Hull 141  (Read 833 times)

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
Re: 365 Ketch - Hull 141
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »

I keep seeing these reports about the Hurricane activity models for this year, and I want to be able to run if need be (I think worst case scenario would be sailing offshore quite a bit, heaving to, and riding it out...but there are a lot of other options too).

Taking a boat to sea in a hurricane is a really bad idea. Ships are better off at sea but most boats aren't built for those conditions. Far better to haul out, go into the mangroves or up a river, that way if you damage the boat you don't have to die.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
I'd hopefully do it early. That being said, this marina is a hurricane hole I've learned. So I think we're good for now.

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
"Taking a boat to sea in a hurricane is a really bad idea".

+1

Like a new definition of the word "bad".
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.  Stop in and see our 365 through over 17000 miles of cruising.

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2020, 03:46:20 PM »
I listened to the Sinking of the El Faro recently. That was crazy. Okay, I solemnly swear I won't take my boat into the sea during a hurricane on purpose.

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »
Okay. Engine works! She purrs. It's amazing what a few grand to an old guy can accomplish. Raw water pump seems to be hosed. It might be the camshaft screw it something that got missed. This was my fault. I got cocky, and told the guys that "of course I know how to tension the belt". Which meant they left before I really started her up. I will resolve this issue though. And learn how to rebuild it if needed.

I feel really happy that I've never had my bilge pump go off unintentionally until now. It freaked me out.

But I truly hope to go out on Saturday.

I did identify another job to do. This one I think I can do on my own. I need to address the anti stall sensor. At idle, the engine stalls. Allegedly, I just need to adjust it. That being said, for now, I like the ability to kill the engine from the wheel. I'm torn.

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 01:42:01 AM »
Alright. I've spent some time over the past couple of days prepping for Isaias. We're doing fine, although I am awake this early to make sure the tide won't mess with me. Without the function over form Bimini, so many people here have complimented her. I feel so very good about this boat.