News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

365 Ketch - Hull 141

Started by Jordan, April 23, 2020, 10:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S/V Deo Volente

Quote from: Jordan on May 05, 2020, 03:09:06 PM

I keep seeing these reports about the Hurricane activity models for this year, and I want to be able to run if need be (I think worst case scenario would be sailing offshore quite a bit, heaving to, and riding it out...but there are a lot of other options too).

Taking a boat to sea in a hurricane is a really bad idea. Ships are better off at sea but most boats aren't built for those conditions. Far better to haul out, go into the mangroves or up a river, that way if you damage the boat you don't have to die.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

Jordan

I'd hopefully do it early. That being said, this marina is a hurricane hole I've learned. So I think we're good for now.

SVJourney

"Taking a boat to sea in a hurricane is a really bad idea".

+1

Like a new definition of the word "bad".
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

Jordan

I listened to the Sinking of the El Faro recently. That was crazy. Okay, I solemnly swear I won't take my boat into the sea during a hurricane on purpose.

Jordan

Okay. Engine works! She purrs. It's amazing what a few grand to an old guy can accomplish. Raw water pump seems to be hosed. It might be the camshaft screw it something that got missed. This was my fault. I got cocky, and told the guys that "of course I know how to tension the belt". Which meant they left before I really started her up. I will resolve this issue though. And learn how to rebuild it if needed.

I feel really happy that I've never had my bilge pump go off unintentionally until now. It freaked me out.

But I truly hope to go out on Saturday.

I did identify another job to do. This one I think I can do on my own. I need to address the anti stall sensor. At idle, the engine stalls. Allegedly, I just need to adjust it. That being said, for now, I like the ability to kill the engine from the wheel. I'm torn.

Jordan

Alright. I've spent some time over the past couple of days prepping for Isaias. We're doing fine, although I am awake this early to make sure the tide won't mess with me. Without the function over form Bimini, so many people here have complimented her. I feel so very good about this boat.

Jordan

Okay, I left a lot of threads I started just sitting out there. I was very lost when I started this process, and wound up getting pulled in a bunch of different directions. I couldn't find information that was clear, complete, and concise. I'm beginning to think that is due to the way boat jobs (especially when it comes to a new-to-us boat) go. So I'm going to take a minute to link to the disparate threads, and post a quick update here. I'll go into each of these threads, and get the information updated. I'm also going to consolidate the threads by stage and job.

Plumbing

Galley Faucet
This one actually got completed. The only hiccup I experienced was that one of the pressure nuts on the water manifold for the pressure water system broke. I could not for the life of me find the right kind of connector. I thought I had PEX line, but that's not it. A friend on my dock is a plumber, and used some pipe dope to get the broken nut working. I'd like to get it solved, but it seems to be okay now, and we make sure we don't leave the water pump on when we leave the boat.

Rigging

Mizzen Topping Lift
This was mostly because I was pretty sure something was missing, since I had to move the mizzen halyard from the end of the boom to the sail to raise it. It is just missing. I was going to essentially leave it like that, but I recently embarked on a full re-rig, and I'm just duplicating the fixed wire to the 3/8" line to a turning block on the mizzen. Nothing magical, nothing special, but it's going to be added.

Roller furler is jammed!
This was a hell of a learning experience. Long story short with this one is that I didn't know what I had, or how it was supposed to work. Did a bunch of research, found the model, and then I found a company that rebuilds them. They got it down, pulled it off, and took it back to the shop. All new bearings, seals, and grease. They needed to actually cut a section off in order to get the bottom drum pulled apart, and rewelded. I'll post pictures over in that thread, because I pretty much got that part resolved. The only outstanding thing is that when they mounted it, the bottom drum was not lined up properly with the groove in the stay. He will go ahead and fix it. It looks like it's just about 8 allen bolts on the inside of the drum, to be removed, rotated, and rescrewed it. This should be good to go for another decade or two.

Time for a new headsail!!
This was posted in response to the headstay actually getting put back on and freely spinning (which from what I understand is kind of important in a roller furler). I reached out to Fred to see if I could snag the sails off of the boat he was trying to sell, but it looks like he's going back in the water, and needs them. Dale has a 150% that might work, and that would be awesome. I had a few questions that I was going to break down in this thread regarding sail plans (you know, like a 150% working jib vs a 120/130% high cut yankee), but I think that is a bit premature, and I just need to get some canvas up. I'm collecting data on different sail plans, and then will log my actual experience. Hopefully Dale has had a bit of a break, and I'll hear more about that head sail.

Electrical

Most of the conversation about this has been mentioned in this particular thread. It's been a learning experience. It's still ongoing, but I have everything but the batteries now. I went with a Victron inverter/charger along with a Victron battery monitor. I'm wiring up all the new stuff with 12 AWG tinned copper. I did confirm that the Raritan I have is not functional at all. I cracked that thing open, and discovered that our single working 110V outlet is pretty much just directly attached to the shore power cord (they both go to the same terminal, so it doesn't do anything with the existing one). I've also expanded out my 12v system. I've got two dual USB chargers installed on each side of the v-berth, and a 12v battery charger for AAA, AA, D, C. This is around the nav station and the locker just forward. We're also thinking of doing a drawer in that locker, but we'll see. I'll create a separate thread for all the electrical stuff.

Engine

Post fuel filter replacement priming
So this has been ongoing. I tried just changing the fuel filters, and she never started again. Found someone to help troubleshoot. Brand new injectors and a rebuilt injector pump. The rebuild cost about $1400, and the labor for the mechanic (so far) has cost about $1600. But I've learned a lot, and she starts up with no problem. But then something else happened, which leads me to the next thread.

Water Pump
The motor lives!! Alas, the water pump took a crap. Looks like a seal broke. I'm pretty sure that means that some salt water got in with the oil. So we've emptied out as much as we could without a raw water pump (I'm pretty sure the vaccuum is important to pump from where the dipstick is, and I can't get it all without the pump installed), and have it on our list to regularly change the oil every week or two until I feel comfortable most of it is out. This process was a mess. I ordered a new one, had issues with the post office, got no response from that particular government agency. No refund, no phone call, no contact, no nothing. Currently I'm out $600 bucks, and had to buy another one. That one only got delayed about a week and a half. I think I've fallen into that trap of being an American, and thinking that no matter how fucked things get, there will still be some fundamental aspects of this country, but that is obviously not the case. So this had nothing to do with anything as far as the boat, and beyond the complete lack of help initially from the company, it was the government. I'll be filing police reports, etc. Annoying as hell. But I currently have an $1100 water pump. Let's hope it works. Should be getting installed and calibrated today (Westerbeke Service Bulletin 10).

#boatlife

Oh I forgot!! We've got the old name scraped off, and will be cleaning up the transom during the week, and get her new name installed. Then I file the USCG paperwork, do a rechristening, and then I can start putting her name in my signature and threads.

dkeith

"For thousands of years, we have gone to sea. We have crafted vessels to carry us and we have called them by name. These ships will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them "she." To them we toast, and ask to celebrate (the name of your boat)."

Toast:  "TO THE SAILORS OF OLD. TO (the name of your boat)." 

"The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent. We ask that this ship be given the strength to carry on. The keel is strong and she keeps out the pressures of the sea."

Toast:  "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS OF OLD...TO THE SEA!"

"Today we come to name this lady (name of your boat), and send her to sea to be cared for, and to care for the (name of your family) family. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of God that is the sea to accept (your boat's name) as her name, to help her through her passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely. "

Final Toast: "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS BEFORE US...TO (the name of your boat)."

S/V AMITY

Ahh yes... the romance of the sea, it's traditions, lore, etiquette.

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Jordan

Just saw this in one of the latest Delos videos. I've only read a little bit on how to properly deploy a spinnaker, and I'm not sure when to do this part. :D

SV Azimuth

You'd need a symmetrical spinnaker setup first -- deploy a stern anchor upwind, tie the two spinnaker clews together and tie a recovery line to one side. Hoist the spinnaker to the headstay and have someone sit on the lines connecting the clews. The sail will fill and take them with it, strong suggestion to avoid the forestay and anything in the way as you get lifted up! The spinnaker rider can pull the clews together to lower themselves and you can use the recovery line if the sail tries to escape. It's a lot of fun but definitely can be precarious if you're not paying attention.

Jordan

Headsail worked great Dale!

Inaugural sail: done!

The projects don't end, but this milestone is big!

Thanks a bunch to everyone here. You're a wealth of knowledge.

SVJourney

Congrats!  Looks like you were havin' fun.

Jordan

Quote from: SVJourney on August 29, 2020, 09:03:01 PM
Congrats!  Looks like you were havin' fun.

I was sailing. For the first time. On my boat. Fun doesn't even begin to describe it. When we got back, I recovered from the travesty that was trying to dock with a misadjusted anti-stall, the heat of my extremely well protected marina, and the sunburn, I was damn near in tears. It's like when I asked myself, there was no hesitation that I knew I could do this. But when it actually happened, the extremely deep sense of relief and pride that I felt makes me think I didn't really believe myself. A couple hours after we got back, my freaking legs gave out, and I just had to sit down in the cockpit in awe. A very magical day.

So much sacrifice, so much change, so much anger, so many tears. So worth it.

SVJourney

LOL, and another sailor was born.   :)