Author Topic: Autostream Feathering Sailboat Propeller -17 inch  (Read 572 times)

S/V Legacy

• View Profile
Autostream Feathering Sailboat Propeller -17 inch
« on: April 13, 2020, 04:43:45 PM »
This came off a Pearson 365.

Propeller is in very good used condition. No Visible wear on gears.  I have cleaned all grease from unit and dismantled for inspection. Needs new cone zinc and O-Ring kit (4 O-rings) and grease. Three of the original O-rings are still on the propeller and can be used to match up new generic rings. New ones can be ordered online if preferred. This unit fits a 1-1/8" tapered shaft. I do not have the measurements for the tapered end, but may be obtained from the manufacturer. Install, adjustment guide and parts can be obtained from manufacturer.
$860.00 and buyer pays shiping.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

SV Azimuth

• View Profile
Re: Autostream Feathering Sailboat Propeller -17 inch
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »
Hey Scott,

May I ask why you're selling the Autostream? Are you upgrading to a different feathering prop or something else entirely?

Also, what kind of performance difference have you noticed using the Autostream vs. the factory fixed three-blade? Any difference in sailing speed, performance in reverse, or prop walk? The underbody of the 365 and trailing end of the keel previously didn't give me much confidence that a feathering or folding prop would have much effect in optimizing "performance" of our decidedly "cruising-oriented" hull forms. Curious what your experience has been like!

Thanks,
Another Scott

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
@Another Scott
We found that switching to a feathering prop gave us ~ 1/2 a knot in light airs.  It was a kiwi prop and served us well.  We changed it often as it needed yearly servicing or it would lock up.

Wayne
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

SV Azimuth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »
Thanks Wayne,

Was that speed increase compared to keeping the fixed blade locked in reverse or allowing it to spin freely in neutral?

SVJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 02:02:53 PM »
We kept the fixed pitch locked in forward as the shaft made a lot of noise when spinning.  (Paragon trans)
Didn't notice any dif in prop walk.  The Kiwi had much more power in reverse than the fixed pitch did.
I found a folding prop worthwhile for crossing the Pacific.  I would not make the investment in money and time for more localized cruising.  I would also recommend keeping a fixed pitch and a prop puller onboard as spares if international cruising as folding props do fail sometimes. Ours locked up twice and had to be removed, torn down, cleaned and lubed.  I got good at it after awhile.  :(

S/V Legacy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 03:11:39 PM »
The reason im selling the prop... When i bought the boat the owner gave me two extra props. I have a fixed 3 blade standard 17 inch prop on the boat now. It was brand new at the time. In addition the former owner game me the autostream, and a folding bronze prop. Im not sure why he put the one on that he did. He did tell me that under power the Auto stream cost him about a 1/2 knot in forward speed, but he picked up about a half a knot when sailing. He did rave about the fact that the autostream had zero prop walk. Im really not sure why he changed the prop really. I decided that what I had on the boat was fine, and could use the feathering prop money for further upgrades to the boat. Its in great shape.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

SVJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 04:08:06 PM »
BTW, my experiences with a Kiwiprop have little to do with what Scott is selling here.  And the price is a steal compared for what you would pay for a Maxprop new.

svcontentment

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
Hello,
Is this prop still available?
Thanks,
Troy
SVContentment

S/V Legacy

• View Profile