Author Topic: Flu  (Read 114 times)

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
Flu
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:27:38 AM »
  Be interested to hear how everyone's dealing with this.  My boatyard here in the Northeast US has shut down with no one allowed on the property.  That begs the question as to how the coming sailing season will shape up... if it does at all.  Have several cruiser friends who'd been planning to leave Mexico for the run across to French Polynesia but everything over there, all the destinations, have been shut to any visitors.  Here in the states we'll likely have the same situation with summer season marina access.

My question now is if I should even launch.  Sailing is very much a social pastime so if socializing, rafting-up and all the rest are off the menu, that changes everything.  Cheers!

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
Re: Flu
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 01:36:22 PM »
You are in the same boat as everybody else so to speak.  I applaud your boat yard for being shut tight.  Ours are here in Buffalo are as well.  The sooner this thing ends the quicker we all get back to what we were doing and what we want to do and to do that people have to stay home. 
We boarded and closed the store when our governor mandated 100% of workers were to stay at home except for essential businesses.  What aggravates me to no end is the West Marine down the street has remained open, business as usual.  They claim they are essential because they sell to first responders.  So do we, we even sell to the Coast Guard in Kodiak Alaska but we don't think money supersedes our customers or our health.  Unlike your area, there is still some ice in the corners and there are ZERO boats in the water unless they are too large too get them out.

Dale Tanski
Obersheimers
Buffalo, NY
Maruska Hull 40 

"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
I agree with you Dale, they are no more "essential" than anyone else who is not selling food or medicine.  If this pisses anyone else off, send them an email like I did yesterday telling them that they are wrong and are not getting any of my money, even for parts from their Clearance bin.

wmCustomerService@westmarine.com
press@westmarine.com
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:10:04 PM by P69 »

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »
  Bad PR move on West's part.  I'm with P69.

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 07:46:08 AM »
Maybe a few other changes in store:
  https://www.breitbart.com/news/trump-encourages-cruise-lines-that-want-stimulus-money-to-register-in-us/

More US flagged freighters & tankers would be in order as well.

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »
Amity,

That's an interesting article. I guess the Flag of Convenience is too convenient for them now.

FYI:  Here's West Marine's response to my email to them.

---------------------------------------------------------
I work with West Marine helping with communications and customer service. Thank you for sending your email and expressing your concern about West Marine stores remaining open. As you have seen from our updates, we are committed to helping stop the spread of COVID-19. We just announced that we are closing 20 percent of our stores where we are able to and furloughing more than 50 percent of our headquarters staff. For the stores that remain open, we are taking all precautionary and preventative measures, including limiting the number of customers inside stores to practice social distancing, bringing items out to customers cars so they do not have to go in the store and extra cleaning in stores. No associate is required to work if they are not comfortable. Other West Marine stores remain open on adjusted schedules as part of our role as an  essential business supplying more than 9,000 government related accounts for first responders, police, fire, Coast Guard, FEMA, military and other related support services. This is a challenging time for everyone, and I wanted to provide more context for what we are doing to protect the health and safety of our customers and associates while meeting our obligations.

I wish you and your family well.

Thank you.

Monty Hagler

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »
I got the exact email from the exact same guy.  My response was quite caustic. West Marine used to be one of the very best many years ago.  Now they are one of the most expensive and most stores have nobody that really knows very much or seems to care.  For the most part, they are a business booster for us as most people can only take so much abuse, and once they talk to us they even tell us they will never go back.
They were in financial trouble several years ago and closed a lot of stores.  They closed every store in Canada a year or so ago. They were bought out by a financial investment group two summers ago and it has not seemed to help. Their business model is like most today, sell a lot of volume and make very little markup.  They have such high overhead that they need to have higher prices to cover that and they still only make 1/4% nationally.  Only 5 stores really carry the franchise, San Diego, Ft Lauderdale, Miami and 2 others.  The typical store breaks even or lately has been loosing ground.  The Financial investor group from what I have read are not boaters.  Go figure. Their new business model is based all around clothing and stand up paddle boards and kayaks.  They basically want to be a Dick's.  I know the manager down the street because he used to work for one of our largest marinas in Buffalo.  He says they are forced to stock salt water fish lures even though we are 250 miles from salt water.  All stores are cookie cutter versions just scaled up or down to fit the physical size of the store. He has to get a special disposition to stock more engine repair parts over bathing caps. 
They make the most money on the house brands.  The problem is what is in their bottom paint really made of? Who makes their electronics and so on.  Their instruments are relabeled Ray Marine.  There is a lot of mark up on clothing and much of it is impulse purchase.  By the way, we sell Gill clothing, and if you are from the Forum we will knock off 20% on anything you want if you contact us and let us know who you are.  We are also a Helly Hanson dealer but they have self destructed over the past year or so and getting their stuff is all but impossible for us now.  They had a Factory outlet 10 miles away in Niagara Falls and dumped all their slow selling and left over stuff and returns for pennies on the dollar.  That killed our Helly Business. 
They used to make all of their stuff in the Netherlands, all great quality.  They shifted production to Asia, their quality spiraled downward but their profits skyrocketed.  Whether it was on purpose or coincidence they were bought out twice.  The second time was by Canadian Tire who is owned by the Canadian Teachers Union.  That was the kiss of death, what do teachers know about selling anything or business?    Their reps left in droves, product availability became nonexistent, the quality was already an issue and now when we call they seldom have an answer or even answer the phone.

Dale
Obersheimer Sailor Supply
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »
It's all about service & quality. 

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
My take is a little different. My boatyard is a DIY yard. I just returned from working a half day and saw three other people. None came within thirty feet of me. Working on the boat on the hard I am far away from others.  The advisories say to get outdoors-just stay far apart. I don't see the need to close them down. I do see the value in closing the offices to visitors though. And I do see the value in shops being closed or limiting access. I'm in Mass. and we are under pretty strict lockdown.

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
We just bought our boat, and moved aboard this weekend. Currently in a marina. I haven't seen anyone go out, but there are liveaboards here, even though the office is closed. No idea if this is normal, since it's my first experience with a marina (and boat).