Author Topic: Switch Board and Fuse Box  (Read 133 times)

ZULU40

• View Profile
Switch Board and Fuse Box
« on: February 12, 2020, 03:48:38 AM »
A problem I have needed to take care of for awhile, it is time to take apart the switch panel and replace it to be able to achieve several key points

* to handle more switches, the 12 positions are not nearly enough
* to be able to see them at night so I know immediately what is on and what is not
* to be able to maintain the rear of the panel without tools
* to replace existing glass vial fuse with automotive colour coded blade type fuses in a flashover proofed case
* to have blown fuse LED indicator with a glazed cover in such a way as to be visible from outside the fuse box.

At the same time the configuration will make much of the wiring from the port side bus by the house battery to the switch panel redundant as the fuse installation in pairs of ten have their own bus. The fuses and switches are remote to each other but are situated in such a way as to identify the switch relevant to a particular fuse. This is achieved because there are 20 fuses in 4 banks of 5, so switches below them are likewise 4 banks of 5.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:59:16 AM by ZULU40 »
Further South than South is
Hull #103

ZULU40

• View Profile
Re: Switch Board and Fuse Box
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
So the chose plastic for the board the switches attach through was deemed to be a little springy, and the switches themselves only had a 1/4" clearance to the base of the switch board. The solution was to add another 1/8" thickness to the panel which because there are channels in the inside part, raise the clearance to 3/8" and stiffens the panel considerably. The only other consideration that has been happening is in looking for labeling the switches, for which the only alternative I have at hand is a Dymo labeler.

While successfully negotiating some way to keep the labels level and somewhere in the middle of the switch base, in that sense is does look ok but it remains to be seen if all the labels can be kept to 10 characters which assists greatly in the former. The problem entire though, is that sooner or later the summer heat gets to the adhesive and the labels will fall off. However even with that knowledge its going to be acceptable for the present.

Not sure the shiney fasteners should remain but thats why Im building the thing myself I guess; choices.

Hull #103

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 07:37:26 AM »
The only other consideration that has been happening is in looking for labeling the switches, for which the only alternative I have at hand is a Dymo labeler.
I have had a number of panels made up at a trophy shop. They engrave plastic signs and I just needed to provide them with a template.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

ZULU40

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 04:41:15 AM »
The only other consideration that has been happening is in looking for labeling the switches, for which the only alternative I have at hand is a Dymo labeler.
I have had a number of panels made up at a trophy shop. They engrave plastic signs and I just needed to provide them with a template.

Probably the best option, probably costs money too>
Ive learned that you can print anything you want through a laser printer, text or graphics but only black.
You print on to a transfer paper then pull the transfer off leaving the print behind, rather like those scale kits of aircraft etc.
The print cant be water affected unlike bubble jets, but I suspect it wouldnt be all that durable.
Hull #103

ZULU40

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 05:52:25 AM »
ok so 1/2 the switches are in, the rest are on the boat as the contactors were tested to make sure they dont corrode out of existence
the fuse junctions are in and the wiring routing decided on
a catch is provisionally installed to keep the box closed
and the red transparent cover over the fuses, but I need the right fasteners to finish that
theres a small handle that both offers some side protection and enables me to open the thing slowly

my woodwork is pretty terrible but I guess I can get away with it, I still want to stain and lacquer it
wiring the box up will just be laborious but not too tedious
it is to be sited to stbd of the companionway where the old one was

Hull #103

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
Looks good!