Author Topic: 1977 Factory Double Headsail Question:  (Read 106 times)

Sailingmaple

• View Profile
1977 Factory Double Headsail Question:
« on: February 09, 2020, 12:28:24 PM »
Hello all!

My 1977 Ketch has the factory option of a second headsail.  Aft of the anchor platform, there is a circular deck attachment point for a boom, and forward of the main there is a track for the sheet. 

The boat came with a boom, however.....there is no inner forestay....

And..there is not an inner forestay chainplate.  I also cant seem to identify an upper attachment point on the mast for the stay.

There is also not an extra cleat or winch in the cockpit for the sheet...

In summary, I cant seem to figure out how this inner foresail should be set up!

I was hopeful that the collective wisdom on here might be able to help me understand how she was originally rigged!

Does anyone know?  With the factory option, was there a wire inner stay?  If so, where did it attach on deck and on the mast?

I am eager to figure out this rig!  Was this originally a solent?  staystail?  or storm jib rig?  Looking at the backstays, it looks like the sail needs to extend to the mast head, or to the spreaders. On the forward side of the main, just below the spreaders, there is a small, un0-used, lonely block.

Any ideas, pictures, schematics, or advice would be super helpful! 

I will try to upload some pictures of the boom deck fitting.

Thanks much for any help yall can lend!
Ryan

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
Re: 1977 Factory Double Headsail Question:
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 10:14:09 AM »
Dale on Maruska will know.  He has a factory double head rig on his 365.   Wish I had it on mine.  If convenient post some pictures of what you have.  Cheers!

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
I think the boom is for a self tending headsail, not a staysail. That was the case on my pilothouse sloop. It was an either or situation. I did add a solent stay so I can hank on a smaller self-tending jib and not have to remove the genoa.
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 12:50:34 PM »
I do indeed have the factory set up for the inner self tending stay sail.  The attachment point for the inner stay is slightly ahead of the pylon for the boom.  It penetrates the deck and has a turnbuckle under deck which attaches to a point on the bow inside of the anchor locker. 
Post a picture of your fore deck if you have one.
Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

Sailingmaple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »
Okay, I found a picture I took of the bow before the great bow remodel.

Note the boom pedestal just aft of the anchor platform.  Does anyone’s else have this arrangement?

Looks like the boom attaches to the swiveling bracket on the top of the pedestal.

But there is no turnbuckle or any similar apparatus in the chain locker for a stay reinforcement.

Could this have been rigged such that the sail could be raised without an associated stay?

Intrigued by the mystery,
Ryan

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »
Yup that's exactly the way mine was set up. The sail goes on the headstay, it's not a cutter or staysail setup. This picture from the pilothouse brochure shows the setup with the jib on the furler.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:19:22 PM by S/V Deo Volente »
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob