Author Topic: Cockpit Locker Hinges  (Read 193 times)

P69

• View Profile
Cockpit Locker Hinges
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »
What do y'all use for cockpit locker hinges? The hinge pins on mine are removable (3/16" brass rod) so I can easily remove the hatch. that is very convenient, especially to keep the hatch from slamming down on my head when wake rolls through. 

What I don't like about them is that they vibrate out and the hatch gets loose.   They are chrome-plated brass and I think they are  original.

I'm inclined to replace them if I can find hinges that have removable pins that don't vibrate out.  If you have any ideas on how to prevent them from vibrating out, I'd prefer that to dishing out more money to replace something that, for the most part, works.

EDIT:  I just realized that it is a dumb idea to keep these hinges because there is nothing to keep a thief from pulling the pins out and helping himself to the boat's contents.  Instead, I will look at replacing the hinges and use some mechanism to keep prevent the hatch from falling closed. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 07:52:46 PM by P69 »

Dale Tanski

• View Profile
Re: Cockpit Locker Hinges
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 07:55:34 AM »
Stock hinges did not have removable pins.  A short length of bungee attached to the locker lid that slips around the winch will keep the lid from closing. Works like a charm.
Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
Re: Cockpit Locker Hinges
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »
My ketch came with the same bungee setup.  Not terribly elegant but it works.  If someone really wanted to get into the lockers they could get in faster with a crowbar.  For your hinge pins, if they are a close enough fit in the hinge barrels, you could center drill the end faces about 1/8" deep at both ends and center punch them to flare the ends.  Should hold nicely.  To stop the hinges rattling, bend the pins slightly (trial & error) and press into the barrels.