Author Topic: Westerbeke 40 Rebuild?  (Read 2145 times)

jpendoley

• View Profile
Re: Westerbeke 40 Rebuild?
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
Amity, one thing I love about owning an older design is it requires lots of work that requires me learning new skills-and I love to learn. While not a tradesman, I learn pretty quickly and I find I really lose all track of time when I am working on the boat.  So now I will learn about inspecting and probably dressing valve seats. Rebuild kits for the top are pretty inexpensive so will be looking hard at your suggestion. This forum is an incredible resource.

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2020, 10:14:14 AM »
Update for the project. remember that replaced liner that had an ever so tiny chip at the top? Well, I couldn't leave it there and worry about it ever after so I ran a few beads up the inside walls and knocked it out. I have gotten quite proficient at removing cylinder liners.... Napa tells me a new one should arrive today. Dry ice and a little roasting over the woodstove and that new liner should slide right in. Well, "slide right in" might be optimistic, but at least I won't chip the liner this time. During these days of pandemic an ever so brief trip to Napa (with the requisite disinfection wipe down) is my only off property activity-that and working in the shop on my property or ensconced inside the boat.

Removed one intake valve and examined-the surface looks flawless, uniform in wear and all wear is on the lower end of the valve edge-not even close to the top. I am going to pull them all-measure the guides and make a call today to decide if the top end is worth doing. A rebuild kit is very inexpensive-like $90. Its the lapping in and valve seat recutting that has me hesitant-I've never done that before....

Posting my progress somehow keeps my thoughts organized. And maybe for all you non-mechanics out there (of which I am one) these updates might give you the confidence that if an English major and IT sales guy can do this-you can to...unless you have one of those money trees in your back yard, in which case I would say pay a real mechanic!

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2020, 10:41:00 AM »
  English majors invariably make the best diesel mechanics.  Surprised your student adviser didn't tell you that.  IT is a slight handicap but happily you appear to have overcome that.

Carry on.  Cheers!

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »
Rebuild update: Progress has been slow. The new liner arrived on Monday and was promptly put on dry ice, the block hung over the woodstove and the liner went in with a modicum of pounding. Unfortunately, the liners did need to be bored. I contracted with Hansen, out of Marblehead-they sold the Westerbeke line back when these engines were imported from Perkins. Wealth of information. They bored and honed the liners and decked the block in 48 hours.  Cost me $600 bucks. They are a wealth of information about the peculiarities of the 4-108 and gave me some really solid advice. For example, even though the block was flat, the recommended decking a few thousands, because the gaskets that ship now don't crush the way the copper/steel gaskets did with the original engines. Turns out the wrist pin bushings also need to be reamed after install so I will have another machining bill for the rods I left with them-those should be ready for install on Tuesday.  Things will begin to get exciting next week as I begin assembly. All bolt ons painted, plastigauge ready, torque wrenches poised for action.

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2020, 07:05:08 PM »
  600 bucks well spent.  The service manual only takes you so far.  An experienced mechanic who knows the engine completes the trip.  Post some pictures when you can. 

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Piston rods bushings need to be reamed after install-$150.  Fuel pump resealing and calibrating $550. Cylinder liner boring $615. Still have to get numbers for the head and valves and I am already at $1315 for machine shop costs. I paid $650 for parts so the total cost of rebuilding this engine is stands at $1965 with labor provided by a certified...english major.  Hoping vale work is not too costly!

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
Rebuild is done! After bleeding the air out of the fuel system, she fired right up and ran for about an hour on my shop floor. No smoke. Thank you to everyone for the support and advice. All in, the cost was just about $3000, $2400 of which was machine shop work.  I provided all the labor and learned a ton.  Engine ran cool at idle and warmed up a little bit as I throttled up (though I had no way to load it so mostly idled).  Oil pressure steady at 48 PSI.
A few notable upgrade and improvisations:

1. The Foley fuel filter seems like a sensible upgrade. Priming the fuel system would have been a bear if I had
     to fill the old canister filter housing with the hand pump.

2. TAD serpentine kit-I'm liking it so far-quiet and no squeal or belt dust. Belt lines up perfectly

3. Installed a Balmar adjusting arm for the alternator-makes adjusting the belt tension a simple one handed
    affair

4. Timing Case Cover-I fabricated a external ring to completely surround the perimiter of the timing cover
    flange so the flange is sandwiched between the fabricated ring and the block-it should provide a much tighter
    leak proof seal.  This was a silly amount of work for me-I did it with stick welding and grinding, but it came
    out well and I can't see how it could leak.

5. Replaced the tab washers on the oil pan with sealing frames port and starboard to sandwhich the pan flange
    against the block

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2020, 01:08:48 AM »
Picture #3, I see you have installed a canoe stern on your 365... impressive!  :D

Congrats!  I know what it is like to do countless hours and boat bucks to hear it crank up and run.  Nail biting and satisfying at the same time.  Re-extending my invite to Grenada here. 
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2020, 06:57:36 AM »
Perry designed stern!  Great job with the engine... 👍

S/V Deo Volente

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2020, 07:50:28 AM »
Picture #3, I see you have installed a canoe stern on your 365... impressive!  :D

Congrats!  I know what it is like to do countless hours and boat bucks to hear it crank up and run.  Nail biting and satisfying at the same time.  Re-extending my invite to Grenada here.

If you're in Grenada I wonder if you've run into my good friends Al and Sally Prybil on Artemis ? 
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2020, 06:40:47 AM »
Two days ago, I was thrilled the engine simply started. I've now progressed to wanting to fine tune things a bit.
A few small gremlins to address before final head torque and reinstall.  Still in the break in the test bench phase running it at varying rpms for break in-total run time to date maybe two hours.

1. The engine oil cooler leaks water-not into the oil thank goodness-bolted on a used spare and it leaks too.They seem to let go where the inlet ports are brazed to the can-any body else experience this?  One had faithfully received new zincs and the other had not. Repair or replace?

2.the engine is too smoky-at least in my barn with the windows wide open and box fans blowing. Injectors are known good-but am wondering can the engine run on less than four cylinders? I only cracked two injectors to restart,  Could an injector be spraying fuel mixed with air and not firing even though it runs? Seems I have too much unburnt fuel.

Alternatively, could the fuel pump timing need a little adjustment?  I aligned the timing mark on the rebuilt  fuel pump but am wondering if I got the backlash adjustment on the timing gears right. Should I experiment with slight pump alignment adjustments to reduce the smog?
The engine ran much cleaner BEFORE rebuilding...

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
 As a follow up to my last post-timing on the rebuilt fuel pump was off. Rotated the pump body and the smoke disappeared. Purrs like a kitten now.  New fuel tank goes in tomorrow and the diesel goes in Saturday.
One other thing I forgot to mention for anyone considering a rebuild-replace the primary fuel filter canister with the Foley fuel filter modification. Makes bleeding the engine and changing filters a snap. Very positive upgrade.  Serpentine belt is great too-expect much less belt dust. As  an act of faith, I painted the engine bay white =hope I don't regret that, but should make the cave much brighter and encourage me to keep ahead of any leaks.
Jim

S/V AMITY

• 1979 #273
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2020, 08:26:16 AM »
Great progress!  Where will you mount the fuel filters?

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »
The Foley filter converts the original fuel filter canister to accept spin on cartridges-so that stays on the block. The Racor 500 is mounted remotely on the wall by the sink. I do have a question about how to plumb the fuel delivery flow though-perhaps someone can chime in with an answer:
 I have an electric fuel pump in addition to the block mounted cam driven diaphragm pump ("lift pump")normally I leave the electric (facet)off (wired through the breaker panel). The facet fuel pump is handy when changing filterS as you don't have to pump the engine mounted pump by hand which takes forever.  Would also act as a backup if the lift pump failed. This pump was plumbed before the ra or so it would pump fueli into the racor rather than sucking it through the racor- not cool if you have an older fuel tank or got some dirty fuel or moisture because it would not allow the racor to do its job. Racor advises the electric pump be installed on the suction side which would put it in line with the engine mounted primary diaphragm pump. Can the lift pump pull fuel through the racor and the electric pump if the electric pump is off? The configuration I Envision is fuel tank to racor to electric pump to lift pump to primary filter to injectors. Is that a logical configuration even with the electric pump off?