Author Topic: Reconnecting to RV10  (Read 137 times)

jpendoley

• View Profile
Reconnecting to RV10
« on: June 02, 2020, 06:45:54 PM »
Hi Group-looking for suggestions. I'm reinstalling the Westerbeke I rebuilt. Have it on the mounts, which are installed exactly in the same mounting holes as the old ones. I used Bushings Inc engine mounts which are identical to the old ones. The problem is the flange on the drive log is 1/8-1/4" to far forward and won't allow me to attach it to the flange on the velvet drive. The obvious solution is to slide the shaft log back on the shaft that comes out of the RV10.  That log seems pretty glued on with a key. I think I can heat up the log and release it from the key, slide it back the required distance and resecure the the log on the shaft. The keyway runs the whole length of the shaft-am I on the right track? Can't understand why the change in fit has happened-except that the old bushings were really worn.

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
Re: Reconnecting to RV10
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 08:01:23 PM »
I used heat, penetrant, hammer... couldn't get it to budge.  Finally took it to a machine shop and they pulled it with their press.  Then had them turn a few .001 off so that I could slide and adjust it.
Be careful with the heat as that shaft is actually 2 piece with a rubber filler.

Just like you, engine in and out and it no longer lined up.  The depth of penetration of the shaft into the box is pretty critical according to manufacture so you need to have it loose during alignment.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.