Author Topic: W40 Perkins 4-108 Motor Mount recommendations?  (Read 233 times)

jpendoley

• View Profile
W40 Perkins 4-108 Motor Mount recommendations?
« on: May 04, 2020, 10:05:46 AM »
Have not started the rebuilt 4-108 yet, but looking at my motor mounts (Bushiings Inc) they look pretty tired-in the spirit of mission creep I figured I should replace. I have no idea how long mine were installed, they are from Bushings Inc. Can anybody provide advice about best practices when selecting mounts for our boats?  Prices are all over the place-from as little as $30 per mount to$125 per mount for allegedly better solutions-whats the reality?
Jim

SVJourney

• View Profile
    • Galley Wench Tales.  Our cruising blog
Re: W40 Perkins 4-108 Motor Mount recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 12:40:40 PM »
I installed new ones while the engine was out.  Went for high dollar ones as I was trying to reduce noise and vibration.( and yeah, it was total job creep)  Made no difference that I could tell.  For a do-over, I would probably go for a good dual flex such as these:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/bushings-inc-dual-flex-marine-engine-mount-5-8-in-stud-df-2207-2

I truly love Fisheries Supply.  Great company and they are very responsive.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:47:03 PM by SVJourney »
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:22:15 PM »
Those are exactly the ones I am ordering tomorrow.  They are the same as the ones I am replacing-except they are "marinized" to ensure the rubber does not leave the casting in a rollover. Sounds improbable, but one of the old ones did pop out on me when I was removing the engine. Mine were essentially pancaked so I think they were overdue for replacement.
The rebuild is just about done-just need a new damper plate...will fire it up and bench test tomorrow-then the long process of lifting it aboard and installing begins.

SVJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 12:28:04 AM »
Congrats!
And I highly HIGHLY agree with firing it up on the bench before install.  Not to hard to set up and can save mucho heartache.

I am thinking about buying this if the country ever opens up again:  https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/pearson-365-pearson-3105853/  for maybe 5 grand.  So I may be playing the same game as you next winter, only in Grenada... Wanna come down and help me with the rebuild?  *snurk*

SVJourney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 03:07:18 AM »
Damper plates.  These are the ones recommended by a bunch of mechs,
R&D Marine Damper Drive Plates:
Sample store with good description:   https://store.pyiinc.com/pages/damper-plates 
Many companies sell them, including Dale I believe, and he gives discounts to 365 owners.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:10:03 AM by SVJourney »

jpendoley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 06:55:41 AM »
Wayne, great link and recommendation, thank you. All in I think I have almost $3K into the rebuild the bulk of which was machine work. Probably could have skipped rebuild of the injection pump and saved $500. That 365 looks like a great project-a winter in Grenada rebuilding a blown diesel or dropping in a rebuild sounds like a great way to escape winter!