News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Chainplates out in 4 hrs!

Started by S/V AMITY, November 04, 2019, 09:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S/V AMITY

We may complain now & then about 365 - 367 access to various things BUT chain plate access is not one of them.  From picking up my tools to having them all out (ketch) (except head stay) was 4 hours.  Some boats we looked at before the 365 would've needed 4 hours just to get at one chain plate.  So, hats off to Shaw & the Pearson yard.  Cheers!

jpendoley

I have been contemplating this project and thought we were lucky with the access. Has anyone considered putting corresponding backing plates to better distribute the loads?  Given how open the access is, it seems like an easy, low cost conservative upgrade.

S/V AMITY

Backers wouldn't hurt. 

One thing I'd change is the orientation of the bolts.  As mine was fitted, the chain plates rode on the threaded end of the bolts.  Should ride on the non-threaded portion right under the head.

S/V AMITY

Looking the chain plates over they appear serviceable, generally, but do have some troubling beginnings of rust pitting and considering their age (original from '79) will change them out for new.  Schaefer is just up the road so will have them duplicate them.  There are only two plate sizes but the bolt hole locations vary just enough to require each plate be drllled to match the old one.  Have marked each old plate with an engraver indicating its position.   Will have the plate shop mark the new ones accordingly.  Should speed up installation.  Cheers!

S/V Legacy

Just completed making all new Chainplates for my 365. With metal and needed supplies cost me only $400. Will be installing mine this weekend. I've already removed all the wood to access the plates , and was pretty pleased at the amount of access that I have.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

S/V AMITY

Only minor difficulty in access I had was getting to the plates in the port cockpit locker.  Previous owner mounted the Sea Frost compressor box right in front of the chain plate knee for the port backstay.   A little maneuvering around and I was able to reach everything OK.  I made an error in the last post... there are three sizes of plates.  The mizzen plates are all the same size but main has two sizes.  Plates are wrapped up and on their way to Schaefer.

S/V Legacy

Halfway into the job, all my forwards are done, now onto those in the lockers. I have a compressor near mine also, but haven't looked hard to see if it will be in the way. Some of the bolts that were installed at the factory were driven in at an angle and it caused me to have to re-drill a few of the holes in the knees. And one knee was laid down pretty poorly, not straight and had a bow in it. They are solid glass so they are very strong, but still. It had the one chainplate that was bent and had a crack, so glad i got it out. Will post pictures of the old plates when they are all out. Until then here are the new ones i made...
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

S/V AMITY

Scott, the drilled bolt holes for my chain plates were reasonably square to the knees so that's one problem avoided. I found, however, that the through-bolt nuts were on just over finger tight.  When I install the new plates will use thread-locker on the bolt threads. 

S/V Legacy

Finally got them all replaced. Wasn't the easiest job, but well worth it. Found one plate bent, and with a crack. Its odd because it didn't look bent on the deck side.
Scott May
1980- 365 Ketch #307
S/V Legacy

S/V AMITY

Looks like the cracked/bent one is one of the main lowers.  I wonder, being that only that one is bent and cracked, if there was something that hit it sometime in the deep, dark past.

S/V AMITY

New chain plates, covers and bowsprit anchor roller assembly arrived from Schaefer.  Just have to wait for some warmer days to install.  Original headstay stem fitting was in good shape so they just re-polished it.  Have decided, while the spars are out and at the rigger's shop, to upgrade the radar to a Quantum 2.  Existing radar is functional but obsolete, parts no longer readily available.  Will be installing an Axiom Pro at the pedestal.

S/V AMITY

With my new chain plates in from Schaefer I have the full set (ketch) of the old ones available if anyone wants them.  The plates (original?) are stained a bit but are free of any crevice corrosion that I could see. The through-deck areas show no signs of pitting.  Plates have mill finish, not buffed.  Pay shipping and they are yours.