News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

How much water do you have?

Started by Nereid, February 06, 2019, 04:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S/V AMITY

You might be able to fit mechanical fuel tank gauges to the tops of each tank.  A good search in eBay might yield some units that could be adapted to work.  Cheers!

S/V AMITY

... or install a clear plastic sight window on the top of each tank.

Jim S

You could also look into the tank through the access port and see how much water is in there every day or three .....  that would make a nice log entry  ;)
Jim S

Nereid

Thanks for all the help guys!! Looks like I will have to add a foor pump and faucet to the list.. Right now there is a salt water line that has an option to go into the pressure pump fpr the dress.. But I dont feel comfortable running salt through the sams plumbing as my fresh..
Atleast with cafe au lait water you wont need to add creamer to your water ha  ;).
SV Edge, what do you have to monitor your water consumption or how much is left?

Thanks all!
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/

brian chalk

We spent about 5-6 weeks in the Bahamas each summer for many years (teachers). We do not have a water maker, and did not catch rainwater.

With just my wife and myself aboard, our three tanks lasted us almost 3 weeks. We took showers every day and washed dishes using the 12V freshwater pump. Of course we did all this carefully and tried not to waste water. We always anchored and rarely visited marinas. We found that R/O water is readily available in the Bahamas on the fuel dock at most marinas, and at a reasonable price. So we did not dinghy jerry cans back and forth, we just pulled in to a marina fuel dock and filled up every 2-3 weeks.

This worked for us, at least in the Bahamas.

SVTheEdge

We have access ports (clear plastic) on each tank.  We do look in there while filling as to not over flow the tank.  The V berth tank is very hard to see.   We need to move the mattress out of the way.  I can move the couch cushions and see through the clear ports (port and Strb side) I dont know of any good idea to measure tank levels.   Even if you knew the level it might not neccessarily mean you actually know exactly how much water was in the tank in gallons.  I guess flying by the seat of our pants will work.  I run the water pump til it starts cavitating, then switch tanks.  I have a 3-way manifold under the sink with ball valves. 
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

SVJourney

We have done the Bahamas with our 365 twice.  Both times with a small water maker that we used only for drinking water in its own 5 gallon container.  The forward tank was disabled, so with 100 gals we could easily do 3 weeks at a time.  Be advised that the Bahamas have the most expensive water in the 32 countries we cruised.  As high as 60 cents per gallon as a lot of islands have to make their own RO water.  We never had to Jerry can and usually found cheap or free water when we filled with fuel.  The only place that might be an issue to you is in the Raggeds.

I have had to jerry can it in many other places in the world, but its usually just dockside into the dingy then up on to the boat.  Still easier than dealing with a water maker and its power hungry problems.

We had a water level meter in the tanks, but it died and we never had the desire to fix or replace it.

Enjoy the trip!
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

Jim S

Good comments from experienced cruisers.  Evaluate your options and apply an honest, brutal cost to benefit analysis and make a decision.  It is very easy to follow a herd instinct and buy what they have.  Some things look very glamorous until you have to live with it.  I might give a small one a serious look if we were going to out on an ocean for weeks on end.  I probably would not in the Bahamas and similar islands.
Jim S

S/V Deo Volente

To monitor the tanks I built something similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CrR8OGsoBk
I have one set of indicators and seperate switch for each tank. I also ran one in the bilge.

Bob
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob

S/V AMITY

Another possibility is to simply track gallons used.  There are digital meters on eBay for $20 - $30.  Measure gallons to fill each empty tank and Install meter at water valve manifold.

Jim S

The best, most sure-fire way to tell how much water you have is to look into the tank.  All the meters and indicators in the world may fail, but one look...it never fails.  A dip stick, clean and dedicated to sounding the tank, can be made that is fool-proof.  Looking is not the easiest or most convenient, but it never fails.

An indicator would be nice, though.

Jim S

Nereid

Thanks a lot everyone!!
I will think about what to do, sending unit or not.. electrical resistivity/led display.. etc. and I will let you know.
I think if anything I am leaning towards some sort of sender to a gauge, and take a pass on the water-maker until I can really justify a need for it.

I will for sure plumb in a salt water foot pump and faucet though, i think that would be very helpful for all the dishes and other things while out of the harbor and other nasty (flesh eating bacteria) waters.

How clean is the water you guys get in the other countries... would you feel comfortable drinking it or do you all filter it?

Thanks all!
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/

SVJourney

We added a 1/4 cup of bleach to every 50 gals whenever we were out of the country.  Again, we had a drinking water tank, but 1/4 cup per 50 gals is enough to disinfect but not enough to really taste.  LOL, not over the taste of fiberglass tank water anyways. 

I should also mention that we had activated charcoal filtration inline at the galley sink that removed most of the chlorine and made it taste better.  Got that at Home Depot for about $50.  Well worth it.  Changed the filter about every 6 months while living aboard.  Seeing what was in the filter element when I changed it convinced me that it was a very good thing to have one.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

SVTheEdge

Ive been looking for a in-line water filter.   It seems I dont have much room under the sink.  A picture of yours would be great.  But you sold your 365, right?  I really enjoy getting involved on this forum.  Thanks for all the input.  We will start cruising the NC outer banks, Pamlico and Ablemarle sounds in April.  Bahamas next fall.
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

S/V Deo Volente

Quote from: SVJourney on February 12, 2019, 03:40:24 PM
We added a 1/4 cup of bleach to every 50 gals whenever we were out of the country.  Again, we had a drinking water tank, but 1/4 cup per 50 gals is enough to disinfect but not enough to really taste.  LOL, not over the taste of fiberglass tank water anyways. 

I should also mention that we had activated charcoal filtration inline at the galley sink that removed most of the chlorine and made it taste better.  Got that at Home Depot for about $50.  Well worth it.  Changed the filter about every 6 months while living aboard.  Seeing what was in the filter element when I changed it convinced me that it was a very good thing to have one.

Yes to both the bleach and charcoal filter! We always add a little bleach. I have a Seagull IV water filter at the galley, it was on the boat when I bought it. A bit pricey but I can't tell the difference from bottled water. I also added an American Plumber W385-PR Slim Line Water Filter in the head to the cold water faucet. It makes brushing your teeth or that occasional drink of water much more pleasant.

Bob
"S/V Deo Volente"
Pearson 365 Pilothouse
Hull #17 1980
Duluth Minnesota
Bob