Author Topic: Waterline and weight distribution  (Read 1118 times)

SV Azimuth

• View Profile
Waterline and weight distribution
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
Question for sloop and potentially P367 owners out there. I own #297, a sloop, and have noticed that my boat seems light in the stern. With all the tanks empty, there's nearly three inches of bottom paint showing in the stern and less than one up front. With the tanks full it's even more pronounced.

Thinking about the hull, it was likely designed with the weight of the mizzen mast and rigging in the cockpit, which I figure at about 230-250 lbs. In addition, the original 50 gallon steel fuel tank was replaced with a 22 gallon aluminum tank. Lastly, filling that 50 gallon water tank up front puts nearly 400 lbs right up in the bow.

My question(s) - do any of you have this issue? How did you address it? And if you were me, how would you put ~4-500 lbs of weight in the stern?

jpendoley

• View Profile
Re: Waterline and weight distribution
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 09:00:43 AM »
Its just a 365 "thing". Our boats carry more water than most 36 footers and that's the tradeoff. My tanks are zoned so I use the bow tank first-last me about four days and for four days I am a bit bow down. I love having the extra tankage as Im full time aboard on a mooring.

Nereid

• View Profile
Re: Waterline and weight distribution
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
SV Azimuth! I wondered if you guys were on the forum, cool seeing you from Instagram!

If you are trying to make your aft heavier, there are some modifications to the hull that many folks already have.
For us our false keel (aft of the lead one) was filled with epoxy and glass to prevent some knuckle dragging yard from cracking the hull by placing a block on the aft section of the keel.
If you still have that really deep bilge, you may consider filling it.. since it would help two problems at the same time.
S/V Nereid, Hull #193
www.instagram.com/afloataboard/