News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Rear Oil Seal Replacement

Started by jpendoley, February 10, 2018, 10:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpendoley

Hi Everyone
Time to begin boat work. Still cold and frozen in New England, but the Planar diesel heater I installed last fall takes the chill off, so I have no excuse not to go after the dreaded rear oil seal. Leak eaks a pint in 8 hours of running time. I understand it will likely still leak, but am hoping the replacement of the seal will reduce that dramatically.
I'm considering going with the Foley Engines graphite seal. I've heard all about there legendary friendly service  (sic), but am thinking the graphite approach is innovative and might be worth a try.
Any advice on this project much appreciated. I'm a novice mechanic, but thinking this is not beyond my abilities-I rebuilt my little Atomic Four years ago and it runs great.
First step is soaking the forward engine mounts with kroil. Hoping I can lift the engine without screwing with the alignment.
Any advice or instructions greatly appreciated.
Jim

SVTheEdge

I hope you have success with this seal.  The previous owner of our boat tried it himself and it ran 22 miles before dumping lots of oil in the bildge.  I heard Perkins engines leak oil, but not pour.  I paid a guy $900 to replace it.  My bell housing was cracked as well.  I hope to learn how to change it next time.
Pate B.
1979, 365 ,Hull #244, Sloop
S/V "The Edge"
South Port, NC

Sailing_Photog

Any success with your oil seal?  i need to tackle this project but dont know if it can be done with the engine in the boat.

jpendoley

The honest truth is, i am not sure. I don't think the rear seal is leaking any longer, but I do think its leaking from the front of the engine-possibly the front seal.  Can't really see exactly where it is leaking from-but the remaining leak seems upstream of the rear main. I am contemplating taking the whole front apart-as well as the front seal. Then again, it might be the oil pan itsself-which would be almost impossible to do in place.  Anybody have a great way to remove a westerbeke/perkins? Thinking this would be a good winter project

stbtack1

It is very possible that your front seal is leaking. I went through the whole process including adding a walker airsep to the intake to create some negative pressure and still have a very small leak.  I had rotator cuff surgery at the beginning of the summer so I have not been able to get in the engine room to trace it but my guess is the front seal.  The positive is that it is nothing like it used to be and easy  to deal with.  Like one oil absorption pad for the season.
Billy Ellis
Salty Dog 1981  P365 Hull 364

jpendoley

I am leaking way, way too much oil-definitely not the rear seal though. Am thinking of pulling the engine...hate to do that as it runs extremely well, no smoke, smooth and plenty of power. Has anyone lifted the engine high enough to replace the front seal and oil pan gasket without pulling the engine entirely out of the boat?  My back aches just at the thought of the contortions required to do it in place-but pulling it out of the boat is equally daunting....

SVJourney

I don't think you would have an easy time of it if you did it in place.  You will need to get an impact gun and a puller onto the front pulley.  I also seriously doubt you could lift the engine enough to change the pan gasket.

Engine removal actually isn't all that hard, but you will be subject to job creep.  " While its out I might as well do X, Y and Z and..."
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

jpendoley

Yup-might as well remove and renew the fuel tank while I'm at it