Author Topic: What is this line used for?  (Read 299 times)

jeffg

• View Profile
    • Email
What is this line used for?
« on: March 31, 2019, 01:32:52 AM »
I was looking at the running rigging on the main mast, today, and found something puzzling.  There is a wire-to-rope line, like a halyard, that exits the front of the mast about 6 feet below the top of the mast.  Then, it attaches to a bale on the mast, about a foot above where it exits the mast; however, it also has a block mounted to it.

It looks to me like maybe the block is intended to be attached someplace on deck, and this might be a some sort of removable inner fore stay, or something like that, but I don't see anyplace to attach the block on the fore deck.  I don't remember seeing this when the mast was up.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks,
Jeff
 "Jabberwocky" P-365 #269

Maruska

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is this line used for?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
Jeff,
Anything that exits below the of the masthead could only be a halyard for a stay sail or a topping lift for a spinnaker pole.  The fact that it is a wire to rope does indeed indicate it was intended to be heavily loaded so it was probably a halyard.

Dale
Obersheimers
Maruska #40
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

jeffg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »
It looks like I might have an answer.  I originally got the answer from a neighbor who reads a lot about older boats, and then the suggestion was made on the Pearson Google group as well.

It looks like this is a rig for a solent stay.  This would allow me to attach a stay to the deck and hoist it inside the head sail (back about 1 - 2 feet from the head sail) for the purpose of attaching a storm sail or a second down wind sail.  This would not be a cutter because there isn't enough room between the two stays and the stay is removable.

I'm not going to worry about it this season, but next winter I may try to find a used sail that I can sew a dyneema line into, so I can hoist it for this purpose.

ZULU40

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
its a topping lift for the main
cheers
Further South than South is
Hull #103