News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Water Heater Replacemnt

Started by SV Alfresco, February 01, 2017, 10:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV Alfresco

The old Raritan blew out last summer (literally) and it's time for a replacement. I'm looking at a 6 gallon heater and see a wide range of prices from about $250 to $800.   I'm leaning towards the Seaward or Kuuma. I could replace these three times for the price of the Raritan. Also going to replace the belt driven pump while I 'm in there and put in a hose for a cockpit shower. Also have to secure or replace the expansion tank that sitting loose on top of the water heater. Any suggestions or recommendations on size or brand from anyone who has done this?

Thanks,
Mike

Dale Tanski

Mike,

I like both of your choices for one big reason.... they have a rectangular outside housing, known in the business as a "cubed" tank.  I installed an all stainless tank (tank and shell) that was a cubed model and it was a huge improvement in space allocation.  Maybe it was all mental but I think it is much better than a round model.  I got a real deal on it because it was dented in a big way and was unsellable. 

Both of the tanks you are looking at are good buys and should give you years and yeas of service. 

Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

SV Alfresco

Thanks Dale,

What size did you get?

jpendoley

Not to muddy the hot water, ::) but couple of suggestions-one will be controversial and one not. Non-controversially, don't mount your cube on a platform without ventilation beneath. They  all weep and the weeping water will accumulate beneath the tank on the platform where it will eventually begin rotting. If you can raise the cube on a couple of battens attached to the shelf you can eliminate this tendency with air flow.

The controversial suggestion is to consider an instant propane based hot water heater.  Many cruisers use them, but they are not ABYC approved so you have to understand the technology and the safety issues involved. You insurance company may decline to cover. I believe there exists a marine rated one by Wolter (its pricey) that might be covered and their are several rated for outdoors and indoors use that are very inexpensive-like $250. They have many safety mechanisms (more than on  propane stoves which most of us have).  Advantage is no need to run the engine to heat water and hot water volume is only limited by water tank size. Plus one for consistent temperature. No need for a hot water tank and no need to attach to the engine.  Of course you would install a sniffer and follow all commonsense precautions with a propane installation.
I lived aboard for years with hot water tanks that failed, gave paltry amounts of hot water and took up a lot of space.  Never looked back after converting. YMMV
Jim

jpendoley

UPDATE  and less controversially, Wolter is out of business-PrecisionTemp is a new manufacturer of forced hot water propane heaters. Cost $1500 in Stainless and $1325 in aluminum. The guts are probably the same as what you can get for $200 from companies like Eccotemp, BUT the exhaust is vented overboard.  Venting is a legitimate concern, the low end ones are not vented overboard, but there are ways to address that lack.

SV Alfresco

Thanks Jim,

I'm on my second on-demand hot water heater at home (Rinnai), so I know how they work. If I was living on the boat, I would consider it. I just got a lot more things to put boat money into.

Mike

Dale Tanski

If you have propane aboard a boat you should have a sniffer system, no exceptions.
Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

jpendoley

Completely agree on the sniffer. Co2 and propane

SVJourney

We've used instant hot water from a camping store for 4 years. Love it!  No waiting for showers, no running the engine or the Honda to make hot water.  Uses very little propane.  NOT ABYC approved, but we don't have full coverage anyway. Remember that only if you have a propane related fire can the insurance company bitch about it.  Mount a separate solenoid valve for the system to isolate it if worried. 

Ours is in the cabin, where the trash can normally goes next to the fridge. We open the door when we shower for venting and cooling (important!) and it is only used for showers or large amounts in the sink.  You can't trickle the water flow as the heater fires when it has significant flow through the water lines.  It runs on 2 D-cell batteries.  Easy simple and very cheap, we got ours for less than 200 US.  I would replace it if you notice any corrosion at all, as they aren't designed for marine use.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com is our cruising blog.

Richard

I replaced my water heater maybe 10 or so years ago with a Raritan.  It has worked very well.

If you have a Westerbeke engine, you may want to consider adding a water heater bypass valve while you are fitting the new heater.  This allows some of the engine cooling water to bypass going through the water heater.  You can find the instructions as an addendum to the Westerbeke manual.

Richard
SV Water Spirit

SV Alfresco

If anyone has replaced their water heater with a Kumma or Seaward 6 gallon one, could you post a picture of your installation. Also have to replace the engine coolant expansion tank that is supposed to be above the water heater with the 7 psi cap. Any suggestions about that? I'm looking at the Whale pressure pump also, 30 or 45 psi?

Thanks,
Mike