Author Topic: Attaching Pictures  (Read 2004 times)

INCOMMUNICADO

• View Profile
    • Email
Attaching Pictures
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
Have been trying to post pictures (23 in total) but have been unable to post.  Even tried to upload only 1 picture and am unsuccessful.
Allen & Michelle Willis Owners of S/V Incommunicado. Hull # 18. Have owned her for 20+ years.

P69

• View Profile
Re: Attaching Pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 06:49:09 PM »
Each individual message cannot exceed 2048 kB in size (2.048mB).

Are you getting any error messages?

PeteW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
Seems like folks are having lots of trouble uploading pictures. Here's how its done:

1. Resize the picture using Paint. Save it as a .PNG file. It's a WYSIWYG thing.
2. Upload the picture to a free file server like Photoshop.
3 View the picture in the file server and copy the URL link that appears in the box called IMG.
4. Paste the link into the body of your Reply.
5. Hit preview to see if it's what you want.

I'm not sure the file server on this forum has enough capacity for large document files containing pictures. The old version we had definitely  had run out capacity.

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:49:01 PM »
The limits are self-imposed.

I can change the # attachments per post (current # = 4), max total size of a post (current = ~8 mB), max size of individual attachments (current max = ~2mB), the acceptable file types for upload, and the storage capacity for attachments.

If ya'll want more attachments per post  or increased size of individual attachments, any other limits you encounter, let me know.

I've disabled the attachment of word documents because they can be a vector for viruses. I had inadvertently left that hole open, which allowed Michelle to upload .docx files.

Michelle: I edited your  toe rail  pictures to remove the word documents and replaced them with Jpeg files.

Currently, only the following file types are allowed to upload:
          gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt

If any of these parameters need to be changed, please let me know.

P69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:55 PM »
Another way to attach files that is part of the Forum.

Both  methods work and both have advantages and disadvantages. Often Forms with limited space will promote the use of 3rd party pictures sites (Photobucket, shutterfly, flickr, google, etc...) to over come limited disk space on that forum or limited upload functions.  Also individuals might have a photo collection on one of these sites and find it easier to link to those rather than uploading directly.  Lastly, some sites have more efficient mechanisms for uploading and previewing attachments. The one with this form is fairly easy, but not that great for a large number of attachments and one cannot see the attachments in Preview, the message must be posted before the upload occurs.

Here you may choose either. We have plenty of space and can adjust the upload parameters to suit our needs. You choose the attachment method that is easier for you.

Forum tools for attaching pictures:

Below the box in which you type when you are making a new post or replying, you will see four check boxes,  then below that, you will see the boldfaced word  Attach:

Below that you will see a button labeled "Choose File".  Click that.

You will now see a dialog box. Use this box to navigate to the folder that contains the picture you want to attach. 

Select the file you want to attach and click "Open".

You will be returned to the post you are typing and you will see the name of the picture file to the right of the "Choose File" button.

If you want to attach more than one poicture, click the link below "Choose File" button, named (more attachments)

This will open a 2nd "Choose File" button. Do this for up to 4 pictures per post.

When you Preview the post, you will not see the attachments. Attachments are uploaded and visible only when you Post.

Restrictions (which I can change if needed):
    Each individual picture has a max size of 2 mB
    Each post or reply is restricted to a max. of 4 attachments
    Total max. size of a post with attachments is 8 mB
    Permitted file formats are: gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt

PeteW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 12:29:18 AM »
I understand what you're doing but I'm not recommending it basically because it doesn't work the way normal web pages launch images. The old forum required the img \img html string with brackets (there's button to create that). The new forum is happy with a URL= http:// string.

Just so you know. I'm not going to open any files that get uploaded to the forums  data file server space. If your image doesn't open automatically  when I bring up the page I'm not going  to risk clicking, opening and launching somebody else's virus onto my machine. So your images will go unviewed at least by me.