News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Thread testing replies

Started by P69, June 08, 2016, 12:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P69

This is a test thread to figure out how the "notify of replies" works.

Please reply to this thread and when you do, put a check mark in the "Notify me of replies" checkbox. When anyone posts t this thread, you will receive an email message (not  PM, but an email ) of that reply.

There appear to be two ways to enforce the Notify of replies. 
1. Mark the check box when you create new post or reply
2. At the bottom of a thread, you will see a Notify button. When you click that (it will become "unnotify), you will begin receiving notifications. 

Thanks
Craig

Della and Dave

This is a test reply.  Pearson 3654321 testing testng...
Della and Dave
S/V Polaris

Jim S

Jim S

P69

D & D,

I received an email with notification of reply when you replied.

Jim,
I didn't receive a notification when you replied.

Notificaions will go out only once per topic, so you don't  get inundated with notifications with every reply to the same topic.

"More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic."

P69

I added the "Notify" check mark to this my original post to this thread.

For an experiment, I also flagged the Selling Counterpoint thread by clicking the Notfy button at the bottom. 

When D & D replied to that thread, I received a notification.

So, to receive a Notification, one must  . . .
1. Add checkmark to "Notify me of replies" check box when starting or replying to a thread or
2. Click Notify button at the bottom of a thread, this does mandate that you post to that thread.

Once you flag a thread for Notify, you will get a Notify when the first reply occurs. Any subsequent replies will not send out a Notify until you log in and read the thread (maybe?).  I am a little unsure if you must log in and read to reset the notify count or if you just have to read the thread (without logging in).  I'll test that tonight.

Della and Dave

FYI, we did receive an email when Jim replied replied, but not the one, so it looks to me like it's working like you said it should.
Della and Dave
S/V Polaris

P69

A feature of this form is to enable the "Notify me of replies" so that when anyone  responds to your post will get an email message stating that and you won't have to checkmark that box for each post you create.

Currently, this is disabled and you have to enable it for each post for which you want to be notified. If I default this to On, you will have to disable for each post if you do not want to receive notifications.

Advantage: you will get notified automatically and don't have to remember to hit that check box to enable notification.
Disadvantage: you will get additional email messages.  This is not a high-traffic site, so I think it will not be an issue.

Let me know if ya'll want this on or leave it off.

jpendoley

I vote to leave it on ie recieve an email.