News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Adding Quarter Berth

Started by P69, September 21, 2015, 01:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P69

I decided I need a quarter berth for more storage that I can get to from inside and don't have to get wet.  It'll be the 'garage' and occasionally used for sleeping.   I am also redesigning the engine enclosure so I have better access (all panels are removable). I moved all engine/utility/mechanical aspects of the boat to the port locker and made the starbaord locker into a quarterberth, battery storage area. The actual starboard cockpit locker will be sealed off from the outside by  a shallow locker pan (~6" - 8" deep) that is fastened, watertight, to the locker opening.

Engine panels will be insulated and removable for wide-open access to engine.  Quarter berth (QB) in the pictures  is mock up with blue foam panels from hardware store. Battery storage is in fwd end of quarter berth (Wiring connections are temporary, no comments about the crappy job, it's temporary, battery hold-downs not designed yet).  All structures (QB and engine compartment) will be removable all the way down to the hull. QB supports are thru bolted to plywood cleats that are scribed to the hull and glassed (epoxy/biax).  Other fasteners (mostly engine panels) are fasten to SS brackets I made with tapped holes for the 1/4 machine screws, so I don't have to deal with nuts falling off in the bilge when removing the panels. Part of this project is a rebuild of the nav desk and electrical panels (including rewire)

https://picasaweb.google.com/111274927949602013478/Quarterberth02

XE9

really looking forward to seeing this completed. are you going to rotate the nav desk facing forward?  I always preferred that setup (quarter berth with forward facing nav desk. my one pet peeve with the 365 is the nav desk. just feels a little to cramped.

P69

Yes, the desk will face forward. I uploaded a diagram showing the profle and planviews.
I'm still working on the mock up and will post pictures once I've settled on the mockup i like.

Still a long way to go.

XE9

very nice. hope to have my first 365 soon. when i do i plan to do the exact same thing. the space layout with that small storage locker gone looks comfortably sized. the only addition i plan to make is adding a small oval opening window in the hull at the nav desk...possibly one into the cockpit in the quarter berth as well for ventilation.

Della and Dave

Do you have any pictures of the final product yet?  Looks like a great project.   
Della and Dave
S/V Polaris

SV Azimuth

Coming back to this, we're exploring expanding or modifying that area on our 365, any updates or recent photos from the project? (Your old photo album link doesn't work so I can't see anything that was posted.)

P69

Hi ya'll,

Wow, you just reminded me of how long I've been bashing away at this.  Not  much progress on the quarter berth.  Got tied up with other projects: cabin sole hatches (now have 9 hatches to the bilge), head sole remodel to get better access to bilge, secure anchor stowage down below (all five anchors can be securely stowed below), bilge compartmentalization for more efficient storage, transom reinforcement for backstay, basic reinforcement and reinforcement for not-yet-selected wind vane,  vertical grab rails down below (stripper poles, at chart table and fwd inboard corner of galley), design/build gravity tank for diesel heater and incorporate into the on-going design of the fuel delivery/polish system (designed, not built out), design and build a shoreline/anchoring system for hurricanes (here in US Gulf Coast, it's an annual problem, this system independent of normal anchoring system, dedicated system), install deck hatch in head to make it look like it is part of the hull ( found a good deal on a cast  aluminum Bomar hatch and couldn't pass  it up, redesign anchor platform, redesign masthead and some of the standing rigging fittings on the mast, splash guards/dams around the two deck hatches forward of the mast to prevent water and sheets from disturbing the hatch seal, recored the cockpit sole around the binacle (about 2' x 3' patch), water heater bracket (new isotemp water heater came with brackets that are inadequate, so I made my own. Several other tasks/projects. Had to get some problems solved or moved out of the way,  to make way for the quarter berth.

1. Opening through the stbd locker hatch had to be sealed off from the quarter berth, but be removable. Don't want water to dump into the berth when hatch is opened.  I built up the sides of the cockpit locker openings so all there cockpit locker lids will seal shut with gaskets. Starboard locker now has a shallow tray that is sealed from below; it's removable for access. 

2. Engine exhaust hose rerouted up under the quarter berth to under the cockpit coaming, then slopes down/at to the transom. Difficulty there was finding brackets that secured the exhaust hose, did not chafe the hose, and was easy to release the exhaust hose.  Couldn't find any, so I made my own. I also had to make my own elbows and sweeps  for this hose routing.

3. Mock up of the fore/aft chart table in place to get a feel for max dimensions without restricting the ingress/egress of quarter berth. 

4. Move the stbd, aft-most deck scupper to get it away from the quarter berth. I ended up removing that scupper and its thru hull completely. I cut a hole in the toe rail and faired glass so water just drains straight out. Now don't have to worry about hoses leaking on the quarter berth.

Most of the interior fiberglass work is out of the way. I removed propane lockers (port and starboard of the cockpit) and will replace with 10" hatches i designed and build out of fiberglass.  I didn't like the plastic deck hatches on the market and didn't want to spend $800/ hatch for stainless/aluminum hatches.  That is what I am working at the moment. Prototype worked and am now testing the the first set. Just pulled them out of the mold today.

I know y'all want pictures and I'll take some this weekend and upload them.  Until then, I moved all the pictures previously posted to . . .
http://www.bodylens.com/gallery

Last upload was back in July and does not include most of what I touched on in this post.

The most frustrating part of all this is that the part I want to incorporate into the boat does not exist or is remarkably expensive for what it is.  At that point I decide to get the inferior part or  make my own. The 10" access hatch is a great example. I wanted a water proof, durable 10" hatch to access areas of the boat from the exterior.  Water tank access hatches were the same.   And all this has to be done on weekends and evenings after work.  (sigh!)

Dale Tanski

Have you ever just taken the time to sail the boat?
Just a thought...
Dale
"Maruska"
Pearson 365 Cutter Ketch
1976 Hull #40
Buffalo, N.Y.

P69

Yeah, I sailed it for several years before undertaking the rebuilding. i made lists of what I wanted to change. Of course, the list grew a bit as I uncovered aspects of the boat that I want  to redo.

jpendoley

I'm with you in spirit! I'd rather labor for years to get it the way I want it than accept what I don't like.  Guess thats why I tore the 4-108 apart-by the time its done I will know it inside out and I will know i can depend on it.
Jim

P69

Yes, Jim, but there is a downside to our approach.  It's kind of a gamble of whether or not one gets too old and never gets the work done or financial issue hit and kill the project or motivation disappears and you're left with a half torn up boat  and no desire to continue..  I guess it all depends on the goal and it's a huge crap-shoot.   ;)

jpendoley

I weigh that risk every day. I'm 61 and have been working all my life and dreaming of cruising at least to the Bahamas if not beyond-like stare out the window at work and musing for too long. There is something about the dream that's worthy in and of itself. That and the satisfaction of a job well done. I can lose all track of time in the barn, wood stove burning and a boat project laid out in front of me. That alone makes me happy. I do launch every year though and get a couple week long sails to Maine and back.
Time to stop daydreaming and get to Harbor Freight to see if I can jury rig a press together to remove my diesel's cylinder liners-spring is coming!