News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Which stove

Started by Shacklepin, January 05, 2015, 04:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shacklepin

I am about to replace my aged, rattling, partially functioning Seaward three burner gambled stove.

Do I go for the new smart looking Force 10 with its foldaway door and big window or stick with Pearson's choice and dated style, the Seaward? What is the relative build quality, has anyone first hand experience with both? Is there a choice or does one outshine the other? My only concern is the Force 10 has battery ignition, never a good combination unless the battery housing is fully intrinsically sealed as connection terminals corrode like crazy in a salty environment.

What does the team think?
Fair Winds
._/)........Shacklepin........_/)

Jim Cozy

We have sailed with one Force 10 and three Sewards. They all performed very well. The Force 10 had a thermometer for oven temp, no thermostat, so required careful attention. The Sewards all had thermostats. Force 10 seemed a little more robust but quite a bit more expensive. It also had thermocouples on all burners and Sewards did not. Personally if I were buying today I would probably go with price and availability. However, I have not researched the market in nearly 20 years.

Jim
Jim Cozy
SV Talaria, Sloop #284

Shacklepin

Thanks Jim,

I am leaning towards the Force 10 as its a more modern looking stove with a big oven window. they are now thermostatically controlled so yes, it must have been a while since your research. I just have to check some dimensions, make sure it fits and then the fun begins

Thanks
Fair Winds

eveningebb

When I was outfitting Evening Ebb two years ago I got a great deal on a two burner Force 10.  It's worked great and I've been very happy with it.  A significant upgrade from the electric alcohol stove that was in the galley.

I've kind of given up on the battery ignition.  When I returned to the boat two weeks ago from the Australia delivery, it wasn't working.  And even after replacing the battery it didn't work.  The long bbq lighters work just fine so I haven't played with it since.

Of course, I've never used the oven since the boat's been in the tropics for the past two years.  The 80s during the day and high 70s at night here in Grenada aren't terribly conducive to baking. 

Good luck,

Dirk
S/V Evening Ebb
1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hull #276
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/eveningebb

Shacklepin

Thanks for your input Dirk

This is a two boat race I have found few reviews on line so I am torn. The  Seaward Princess is sailing the better line as some reviews indicate heat distortion in the Force 10 cause issues with ovens not heating properly. I have to admit my old Seaward is tank-like and probably contributes to the port Ballast keeping her mast plumb, so seaward are a boat length ahead right now.
Fair Winds

Jim S

The Seaward Princess has performed well for 13 years on Phantom.  We placed a pizza stone on the lower plate above the burner (under the sliding grate) for better baking results.  No malfunctions in the 13 years and the appearance has not deteriorated at all.  For reference, we stay weekends on Phantom and use the burners for 2-4 meals a weekend, bake 1-2 a week or so and roast 2-3 months.  We do two 2 week cruises a year and the Princess is in constant use then.
Jim S

PeteW

I had and opportunity to purchase an almost new  Seaward Princess that was siting in a garage for 4 years and never used. It was removed from a Ranger 36 that was set up for racing.  I too was wanting the Force 10, but at half the price the Princess was an easy decision.

The old Ship Mate  3 burner had a valve that leaked gas out the stem and  simply had become too dangerous. The Seaward has auto shutoff safety valves and  push button ignition. Something I didn't have on the Ship Mate.

To install the Princess you will need  a pair of 1 1/4" hardwood blocks to shim the mounting brackets to the correct width.

Pete  365 Ketch

Skookster

Or none of the above?  Happy with the TASCO 755LP I put in last year.

Shacklepin

Thanks Guys,

Thanks to
Jim,
Dirk,
Jim S,
Pete and Skookster for all your valuable input.

I live very close to Kemah Boaters resale in Texas who are in the process or relocating and the place is in orgnized chaos. I was dropping off an old instrument cable for concession when there on the floor buried under the remains of its original cardboard box was a very lightly used Force 10. (in near brand new condition) it hadn't even been entered into the inventory. The dimensions checked out to within a couple of mm in all directions other than front to back, so a gamble was taken. Price won. I may have to modify the receiving mounts if the tilting capability is restricted as a result of the extra inch front to back, but being slightly shorter from the support pins to the front, the cooker may have appeared recessed when fitted.   All research aside I am a glutton for a good price so I only hope it wasn't traded in for all the wrong reasons. The time to buy it is when you see it, so I've been told. Next weekend will have the new lump installed and if I can work out how to upload photo's .........Result
Fair Winds

sailn

I installed a new stove last year, and it  has worked great. It was a Dickinson Marine Mediterranean 3-Burner Propane Gas Stove With Broiler. The stove sets out about an inch further, because of the clearances required, but it looks great. These are made in Canada, but I see them on the Defender marine site.

Shacklepin

Not such a Result as I thought!

The Grill didn't work - which is one of the features I like about the Force 10. (Gotta have my toast).

Back she went. Richard, the owner of Boaters resale is great, We have done a lot of business over the years and he took it back without a quarrel.

A brand new Force 10 three burner propane cooker now has pride of place in my galley. the only hurt was heat patterning the pristine stainless grill bars on the top the first time I used it. Boiling a Kettle for the traditional a good old cup of Rosey Lee (tea).

Thanks to all that contributed to this post and for those who didn't I hope you gained something from it. 
Fair Winds

PeteW

Never had more than 2 burners on at once. Yes, Its a bit of a full time job keeping them clean and shiny. But what I look for in a stove is the oven. Homemade bread dough for pizza, corn puddings and small game birds are what I like to bake.

Not sure about the Force 10 but the Princess oven mechanism really surprised me. There is a pilot but it regulates the heat by going full blast until the oven comes up to the set  temp. Then it throttles back. Open the door for a bit and it throttles up. 

Glad you got what you wanted in a stove.

Pete