Author Topic: Fiberglass Riser in the Head (365 Ketch)  (Read 2969 times)

S/V Passage

• Like "S/V Passage" on Facebook!
    • View Profile
    • S/V Passage Blog
Fiberglass Riser in the Head (365 Ketch)
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »
I have a project that I need to finish before putting Passage in the water in May. My wife bought a Natures Head composting toilet. We knew that it was a full size toilet, but didn't realize that the 365 Ketch had a portion of the bathroom where the toilet sits up on a step. I am not familiar with fiberglass work and am woried about removing the step to fit the Natures Head. Has anyone else done a project like this? I know that the new toilet will be a bit bigger and stick out a bit, but I am worred about cutting into the boat. Is anything under that riser? How do I seal the floor after cutting away what is currently there? It is too narrow for the new head to fit on completly.
S/V Passage
1980 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hull #324

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svpassage
There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
~The Wind in the Willows~

Jim S

• View Profile
Re: Fiberglass Riser in the Head (365 Ketch)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
S/V Passage

How did you deal with the fiberglass riser in the head?
Jim S

Skookster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »
fwiw, I went with a C-Head instead of the other brands and it fits with minimal work, just extended the fiberglass platform a couple inches using wood overlay over the whole thing...

Jim S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »
I think the C-Head is a good choice for the 365. I measured and tried to fit a Nature's Head/Airhead into Phantom but could find no way apart from a serious alteration of the head compartment.  It was too big to fit.  I also constructed a mock up of the toilet and weighted it to 25 pounds and tried to carry it out of the head to the cockpit. 

The emptying may be only once a month or so but carrying that toilet through the head door was a real trick, let alone up the companionway steps.  Appears to be a good composting toilet, but too big for my 365.
Jim S

Leo II

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:18:26 PM »
I have a natureís head. I love it!  I empty it once or twice a season.  It does sit a bit high on the riser. Iíve thought of putting a grate in to raise the rest of the floor, but four years later I just havenít found the time.

Jim S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 09:35:53 PM »
Good to hear a positive report
Jim S

Jim S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »
Might I ask for some photos?  Also, do you have to remove the toilet from the head compartment to empty the solid waste?  My impression has been that the Nature's Head was too big and tall to fit comfortably.  You indicate that I may have been misinformed.

If you have a comfortable installation this is good .
Jim S

Leo II

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 12:18:07 PM »
Itís a bit high to sit on, but it works and Iíve kept myself busy with other things. I recommend having a custom pickup pipe made for the pee bottle, so urine can be pumped overboard without carrying it through the cabin.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0J532ODWy0q63

Jim S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 09:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the photos.
Jim S