News:

New Board:  Forum Support (Below Chandlery). Forum Support to submit any questions.

Main Menu

Recent posts

I've considered relocating the engine shutoff / start panel. I've on a number of occasions kicked it wit my shin, and it hurts like hell  :o . I'm shocked I haven't broken it yet to be honest.
I'm replacing my staystream with a Harken MKIV Unit 2. It still works fine for me, but it's too difficult for the Admiral. Scheduled for haul out on 5/7/24.
Pearson 365/367 Mechanic Shop / Re: Preheat, start and fuel sh...
Last post by Jordan - April 29, 2024, 06:50:07 PM
Quote from: Dale Tanski on February 27, 2024, 09:01:43 AMMy boat has that little recessed panel.  I moved the engine shut off pull to under the rear cockpit lid and put the START button in that hole.  The inner holes, (Start & Preheat) I installed a water temp gauge as I eliminated the Westerbeke panel altogether.  The tack was shot and the gauges were crappy looking.
Those rubber button covers are I believe a MARINCO part and are still available.  If you want I can check and let you know what they cost.
Dale

Dale, you got more info on that? My tach and hour meter are shot, and I didn't think I want to replace it. And having the controls somewhere easier to access sounds amazing
Chandlery / Pearson 367 #2 for sale
Last post by Sailing367 - April 09, 2024, 12:41:20 PM
I have decided to put my mid-refit Pearson 367 up for sale. Ad can be seen here: https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?sailboat=103958

Let me know if you are interested!
Tom,
We sailed over 20k miles on our 365.  We found the original 43s to be fine for what we were doing with a 135% Genoa. Dana was 57 years and 135lbs and could grind well enough.  I wouldn't have wanted a smaller winch, but grinding 2 handed might make enough difference. 

I would look carefully at whether a 46 would fit well on the rail.  Not a whole lot of room under the railing for the winch handle there.

I never even considered upgrading to self tailing.  It just didn't make $ sense for as little grinding that you will be doing on ocean passages.  We were lazy sailors and tended to set it and forget it.  Also sailed for comfort instead of speed so didn't have all the 135 out at 20+ knots like ever. Made for easy sail adjustment when needed.

The only place I wanted a self tailer was at the mast for both the main halyard and the reefing winch on the boom.  Just for the "One hand for the boat" while reefing.

"Aluminum or chromed bronze?  I'm thinking chrome bronze"   +1

The 135 genny was the most important sail on our boat.  Used the most and gave us most of our drive downwind.  Consider using those 2 boat bucks towards a new larger one?  Unless you are planning on PNW cruising? In that case it doesn't matter as there is never enough wind to sail anyways. lol

BTW, I would never leave the States again without new sails.  Having one blow out mid ocean sucks.  Trying to get sail repairs done in exotic places sucks worse. Learn from my fail?

Wayne

I have never sailed on a boat where the winches were too big. 
If you think your winches are undersize just wait 5 years.
You are only going to do this once... so do it right.
Go big or go home.
Dale
I am going to go ahead and drop an order for new Lewmar winches in the West Marine BOGO - only a few days left.  I know, I know, inflated list price, etc - but my research is that on the BOGO, these are still a good deal.

I only bought the boat last year.  My current winches are not self tailing and for single handed or short handed, the self tailing would be super nice.  Old school cruiser, under powered by today's standards.

The boat:  Pearson 365 ketch; 100% roller furler = 308 sq ft/28.6 m^2; main: 212 sq ft/19.7m^2
Current Primary:  43 (two, of course)            Main/cabin top:  16 (one only)

I want to put two 16s on the cabin top and eventually some rope clutches.

????     Questions - your thoughts     ????

1- Aluminum or chromed bronze?  I'm thinking chrome bronze, but the aluminum drum is probably less $.  I was thinking chrome looks better on the old school boat, but maybe I should worry.

2- According to Lewmar's size chart, with the 100%, I sit right in the middle of winch size 40.  But, if I had (which I don't at this time) a 150% (460 sq ft), that really puts it more to a 46 size or really at the far side of their recommendation for a 40. 

Do you think it's worth the extra $ and then Ocean or EVO?  Divide price show in 1/2 for the BOGO...

Ocean 40, chrome, $1650
EVO 45, chrome, $1900
Ocean 46, chrome, $2200

Tom

(I cross posted that in Cruisers Forum.  Then after posting I added this reply to the above post:)

Having written and posted that, then thinking of my own statement, "old school cruiser"

As a cruiser - reef early... With that said, I'm really thinking the Ocean 40 size is fine for my purposes.

Can anyone dissuade me from that decision? In reality, the price diff isn't huge over the live of the winches - but I could still spend the savings on other boat candy!
In my opinion Furlex is a great furler.  That being said there are many great furlers out there so one has to look above and beyond just the product.  In the case of Furlex (owned by Seldon Spars) finding parts for a Seldon can be an issue.  We have customed machined Seldon gooseneck parts because Seldon no longer lists them. 

We had a transient customer just last year that damaged the lower section of their Furlex while in the Erie Canal.  They contacted Furlex (in France).  Furlex said sure no problem but you must buy through a Furlex dealer so they contacted us as we were going to restep their mast after the canal.  We contacted Furlex and got the rest of the story.  Sure, no problem getting a replacement section but there were none in stock, it was 6 weeks minimum and $1200 for the part and the shipping.  I ended up saving their summer and extended vacation after spending hours straightening the damaged section.  Had the damage been worse they were done.

We have repaired Harken units that are 30 years old.  Parts were discontinued but there are enough of them around that something can be done.  We just sold a foil section for a unit this past Saturday.  The unit has been out of production for over 20 years and parts are scarce but we had used parts. 

Obtaining parts from half way around the world in normal times is difficult, obtaining parts today is far worse.  UK companies do not retain parts the same way companies over here do.  The laws are different.  Here they are required to have replacement parts for 10 years after the items is no longer made.  In the UK not so much.  Lewmar is one such case.  Great product but try and find a replacement part after the production date is finished.  What they do is collect all the spare parts, put the stuff together and sell them off.  Nothing left in the parts bin. 

If you are going to hang onto the boat for a while think longer term.  What is a season worth to you because you can not buy parts.  We have another customer that needed a transmission for a Yanmar.  Yanmar didn't have any.  They scoured high and low looking for a dealer that possibly had on on their shelf.  They ended up ordering one from Yanmar and 20 or so weeks latter it arrived but did not match.  They are on season number two lost because they can't buy a transmission, can't get the parts for a rebuild and a complete new replacement engine and transmission is another year out. 

Even with brand new stuff like say a KIA.  So many stolen that you cant get replacement parts. A product is more than just what is in the box and what it costs.  Too many companies just don't care after the sale. 

Dale 
Hi, jumping on this thread a little late. Curious to hear thoughts on the Furlex? This was a recommendation from our marina.
Pearson 365/367 Mechanic Shop / Re: Preheat, start and fuel sh...
Last post by Dale Tanski - February 27, 2024, 09:01:43 AM
My boat has that little recessed panel.  I moved the engine shut off pull to under the rear cockpit lid and put the START button in that hole.  The inner holes, (Start & Preheat) I installed a water temp gauge as I eliminated the Westerbeke panel altogether.  The tack was shot and the gauges were crappy looking.
Those rubber button covers are I believe a MARINCO part and are still available.  If you want I can check and let you know what they cost.
Dale